55 gallon with various sunfish

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Slasher_*

Guest_Slasher_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2007 - 10:38 AM

So at the last second, I decided to turn my 55 into a sunfish tank instead of a stream tank. I have 5 sunfish in mind for this tank:

Bluegill
Pumpkinseed
Longear
Redbreast
Orangespot

Would it work out to put one of each in there? I know bluegill and redbreast get quite big, but the other 3 really don't. I'll also be getting them at a small size, so I don't think I'll have to worry about max length, just aquarium max length. Although it may be possible to have a bluegill hit 12+ inches in a tank, I somehow doubt it happening, especially if they're on a prepared food. So along with size, is there any one there that's too aggressive to be kept with the rest of them? And I know bluegill are pretty plain, but in my opinion, you need a dull fish to off set the rest of them.

Sound like a good plan? Thoughts? Opinions?

#2 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2007 - 11:43 AM

hard to predict; aggressiveness varies a lot between individs, and depends whether they feel like acting territorial or not. having one per species is probably a good idea - less interest in spawning. Seniority can make a difference too; might be good if the smaller fish go in first, or everybody all at once. Best to have a couple spare tanks (and cycled filters) around just in case you need to referee a fight.

So at the last second, I decided to turn my 55 into a sunfish tank instead of a stream tank. I have 5 sunfish in mind for this tank:

Bluegill
Pumpkinseed
Longear
Redbreast
Orangespot

Would it work out to put one of each in there? I know bluegill and redbreast get quite big, but the other 3 really don't. I'll also be getting them at a small size, so I don't think I'll have to worry about max length, just aquarium max length. Although it may be possible to have a bluegill hit 12+ inches in a tank, I somehow doubt it happening, especially if they're on a prepared food. So along with size, is there any one there that's too aggressive to be kept with the rest of them? And I know bluegill are pretty plain, but in my opinion, you need a dull fish to off set the rest of them.

Sound like a good plan? Thoughts? Opinions?

#3 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2007 - 12:54 PM

As was said already hard to be sure but it should work ok keeping in mind to have lots of cover in the tank. All of those get to a decent size except the o-spots. They are one of the smallest two Lepomis sp, Bantams being the other and I would be a little concerned for them. I also find that those same two and probably warmouth (although warmouth make up for it in size) are the least aggressive lepomids. I have or have had in tanks all but redears and redbreast so I'm speaking from my own experience.

#4 Guest_Slasher_*

Guest_Slasher_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:15 AM

Luckily, being a fishy person, I have plenty of tanks sitting around. So if the orange spot got bossed around, would it be able to live out its life in a 20 gallon? If so, it would make a nice centerpiece fish for the stream tank I'm going to make in it. I'd prefer to keep it in the 55, but if worse came to worse.

#5 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2007 - 11:15 PM

yes it would live in a 20 without a problem they really don't get very large, 3-4" at most. Just be careful with your choice of tank mates, be sure all minnows and darters won't fit in it's mouth, they will eat small ones.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users