Photo

Breeding Bantam Sunfish When Female Much Larger Than Male

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 05 April 2016 - 02:09 PM

Are populations in SE Illinois extant?  They used to be more abundant there than in the SW where they were originally considered to be more abundant. 

Find ways for people not already interested in natives to value them.

#22 thedood

thedood
  • NANFA Member
  • Illinois

Posted 05 April 2016 - 03:59 PM

Lower Sangamon drainage is that the same as lower Sangamon water shed? Thats the water shed I live in. I wonder how much research into these fish has been done on some of these creeks? I hope once I get collecting if I should run across one of these little dudes I recognize it for what it is so I can document it properly, and report it.

#23 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 05 April 2016 - 04:44 PM

I do not think Bantams are extant in your location even though likely occured there at one time.  Redspotted Sunfish were present until recently and they are strongly associated with submergent vegetation. All lifestages I think are strongly associated with the vegetation and low gradient flow.

Find range maps with collection localities.  Then check ditches nearby that are smaller than you think Redspotted Sunfish, Grass Carp, and IDNR biologist will think are worth while and seine those.  Post pictures of sunfish that look chocolate when small or are light brown with yellow to reddish-orange spots on flanks.  Pay particular attention to smaller fish <1" as they can be easy to ID.

#24 thedood

thedood
  • NANFA Member
  • Illinois

Posted 05 April 2016 - 11:09 PM

I didnt mean to hijack the thread, I tend to be rather inquisitive by nature. I'm curious what kind of rig youre using to house/breed your bantams.

#25 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 06 April 2016 - 05:48 AM

Currently as 40-gal breeder tank by have gone as small as 10-gal.  Either a partition or heavy plantings of something like coontail provide female with cover.  After spawning female is removed.  Male can be left with fry even after they leave the nest.  So far all sunfishes I have raised the male / father is not a threat to brood so long as his kept with constantly.  That is not consistent with nature where larvae / fry normally depart natal area leaving dad behind.

See link for details.  I am Wetzel.

http://www.nanfa.org...ishspawning.pdf

Generally Bantam Sunfish are easy to breed although fry are on the smaller side.

#26 thedood

thedood
  • NANFA Member
  • Illinois

Posted 06 April 2016 - 08:37 AM

Thanks for sharing the doc, I will read it tonight when I get home from work. Are you growing a food source for your fry?

#27 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 06 April 2016 - 09:28 AM

Infusoria for first week followed by BS until fry about 28 days then feed training begins which last at most a week or two.  They feed train well as typical of all sunfish I have tried so far.

I have also used the green-water approach but plankton bloom can crash at less than ideal time.

After checking on legalities on even possesing them in IL, consider contacting smbass about getting some from him.

#28 thedood

thedood
  • NANFA Member
  • Illinois

Posted 06 April 2016 - 10:01 AM

Again thanks for posting the doc, it looks well written and I am looking forward to reading it. Thanks for the advice as well. My plan for my 125G has been a cache river biotope with pygmy sunfish so I appreciate these posts and being given the opportunity to learn more about these species of fish. They seem to have interesting personality and behavior and are quite beautiful to boot. I look forward to learning more about them. Thanks for sharing I appreciate it much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users