Photo

Spawning crevices for Cyprinella spiloptera

1 reply to this topic

#1 Declan

Declan
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 26 April 2016 - 04:05 PM

Hello All,

I have a small group (20+) of Spotfin shiners which have begun spawning among bogwood crevices within the aquarium.  I have read in the paper "spawning habits of Spotfin Shiner (Notropis spilopterus)-A fractional, crevice spawner" by William F Gale & Cynthia A Gale, that it is possible to construct artificial spawning crevices from acrylic sheeting.

Due to the tank arrangement and location, it is not practical to remove the large piece of bogwood possibly with eggs attached after each spawning is observed and I am looking to install an alternative surface for spawning and the collection of eggs into both the main aquarium and a separate breeding aquarium.

I would be appreciative of any advice on other in tank spawning methods which have proven to be successful in the captive breeding of this species and whether or not to have pair spawning or group spawnings should be used.

Thank you in advance.

Declan

#2 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 26 April 2016 - 05:49 PM

I suggest reading Brian Zimmerman's recent thread about spawning Steelcolor Shiners (a similar crevice spawning Cyprinella species). He shows how he used slate tiles as a spawning surface.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users