Dollar Sunfish Color

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2007 - 10:08 AM

This is the Dollar Sunfish someone gave me the other day. I tried and tried to get a sharper photo but this guy does not like to get his picture taken. I was droping blood worms down just to get him to come to the front. So As I stated it is a dollar sunfish so I do not need to know the species what I want to know is which variaty of sunfish that vendors sell match this one in color. And also you have the problem of the camera catching what you see with true colors. I adjusted this one as close as I could walking back and forth to the tank while I had it in photoshop. They have a video under captive care and this post is Named Westerd Dollar Sunfish i think. My sunfish looks almost exactly like the one on that video. The reason I am asking if and when I buy some from a vendor I would like to know from what part of the country would one like this color look like. The person that gave me this one I am almost certain he said it came from Florida.

Attached Files

#2 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2007 - 08:17 AM

Cajun,

We are working with the western dollar sunfish and your image looks like a handsome female of the same. The western represents most of what is called dollar sunfish in the Mississippi River drainage.

#3 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2007 - 07:46 PM

Cajun,

We are working with the western dollar sunfish and your image looks like a handsome female of the same. The western represents most of what is called dollar sunfish in the Mississippi River drainage.

I have been away for a while. Thanks for your response. How can you tell this is a female. This thing sparkles like diamonds. I go to louisiana often cause that is where I have family. Are you saying you can catch these down that area. My home town where I grew up is Lafayette Louisiana. I used to catch these raal small sunfish when I was a kid. Next time I go down I want to try again to find a spot to catch these.

Thanks again for the info. When you say you are working with them what exactly does that mean. You teach or work for some fisheries or something studying these jewels? I do not know if you are familiar with Henderson Swamp down near Breaux Bridge Louisiana but this is where as a kid I used to catch real pretty sunfish with rod and reel. Never very big but very pretty. I was not into native fish keeping way back then but is it possible this is what I was catching. I would always want to keep them and bring them home even in the ice cooler because they were so pretty. But my dad would get mad "LOL" and say throw that back thats too small to eat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users