Chub IDs

9 replies to this topic

#1 DSmith

DSmith
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ontario

Posted 18 June 2016 - 05:19 AM

Hi,

I would love to get a second opinion on what kind of chub these are.

They were caught in a small creek connected to Lake Ontario, in Southeast Ontario. They were both a couple of inches long

There are two different fish in the album, they are both chubs (I'm 99.9% sure) just not sure which kind of chub they are. 

IMG_4966.jpg IMG_4968.JPG

thanks!

#2 FirstChAoS

FirstChAoS
  • Regional Rep

Posted 18 June 2016 - 05:41 AM

Top one looks like a common shiner. Bottom looks like a fallfish. Not sure if either ranges into Ontario though.

Edited by FirstChAoS, 18 June 2016 - 05:43 AM.

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 18 June 2016 - 08:25 AM

the top one is a Luxilus sp. and the bottom looks alot like some Nocomis sp. to me... not sure what species are present in southern Ontario.  We'll have to break out the books.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 DSmith

DSmith
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ontario

Posted 18 June 2016 - 08:59 AM

thanks for the replies. 

In my area there are creek chubs, river chubs, lake chubs, and hornyhead chub.  Do you think its identifiable with this photo?

#5 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 18 June 2016 - 09:15 AM

The first fish is not a chub, it is a shiner... either common or striped... you have both in SE Ontario and I cannot tell the difference (likely more my lack of familiarity with the fishes than anything else).  The deeper body and the pinkish edges to the fins just scream Luxilus shiner.

I'm going to guess hornyhead female based on the brassy spot behind the eye (which would be bright red on a male... plus she looks like a nice plump female to me).

FYI...I like answering questions, but I'm getting my information form some experience and then narrowing things down using the Peterson Field Guide (if your into fish, you should get one, there is a bunch you can learn in there and it is fun).

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#6 DSmith

DSmith
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ontario

Posted 18 June 2016 - 09:27 AM

thanks so much, I appreciate it.  I'm new to this, but was also leaning in the hornyhead chub direction due to that exact same reason.  I actually just got the peterson guide in the mail last week! 

And to be honest I don't know why I thought the first one was a chub, I think honestly because I was catching a load of creek chubs and figured it was one as well.

thanks again for your insights,

it was definitely  a lesson learned.

#7 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 18 June 2016 - 09:35 AM

Just out of curiosity, how were these "caught"... are you a micro fisher, an aquarium keeper, or just a creek stomping nature lover?  All are certainly welcome here.

#8 DSmith

DSmith
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ontario

Posted 18 June 2016 - 11:30 AM

with a very small hook and worm.   I fall in the range between fisherman and creek stomping nature lover.   Although this forum has got be interested in starting an aquarium.

#9 DSmith

DSmith
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ontario

Posted 18 June 2016 - 11:30 AM

thanks again for the help

#10 Evan P

Evan P
  • NANFA Guest
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 18 June 2016 - 06:37 PM

Luxilus are definitely some chub-esque shiners, both in robust appearance and behavior. Both of those are very cool fish. Glad to have you on the forum.

3,000-4,000 Gallon Pond Full of all sorts of spawning fishes! http://forum.nanfa.org/index.php/topic/13811-3560-gallon-native-fish-pond/page-3 

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users