whitefin shiner?

1+_10_.JPG

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 14 July 2016 - 08:41 PM

a+_2_.JPG

Tim, here is one of your pictures, it seems to post just fine.  I also saw one in your Gallery called whitefin shiner and added it to the first post. Make sure you are right clicking and "copy the image address" or "copy image url" you cannot do it with just copy image, that is totally different.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Dustin

Dustin
  • Forum Staff

Posted 15 July 2016 - 07:48 AM

The top fish is a greenfin shiner (Cyprinella chloristia) and the bottom fish may be a swallowtail, but I'm not certain.  Where exactly did you catch them?

Dustin Smith
At the convergence of the Broad, Saluda and Congaree
Lexington, SC

#4 taldridge0321

taldridge0321
  • NANFA Member
  • Pigeon Watershed, North Carolina

Posted 18 July 2016 - 11:36 AM

a+_2_.JPG

Tim, here is one of your pictures, it seems to post just fine.  I also saw one in your Gallery called whitefin shiner and added it to the first post. Make sure you are right clicking and "copy the image address" or "copy image url" you cannot do it with just copy image, that is totally different.

Michael, just saw this. Ok maybe the issue is my browser. No idea what I have but copy image url isn't there, just copy image, suggestions? What about downloading a different web browser?

#5 taldridge0321

taldridge0321
  • NANFA Member

Posted 18 July 2016 - 11:37 AM

The top fish is a greenfin shiner (Cyprinella chloristia) and the bottom fish may be a swallowtail, but I'm not certain.  Where exactly did you catch them?

Dustin these were both in that same Charlotte stream where I showed you the pics of the really dark blue Greenfin Shiners. I believe the second fish is a juvenile Spottail Shiner since I catch those there all the time.

#6 Dustin

Dustin
  • Forum Staff

Posted 18 July 2016 - 11:43 AM

It certainly could be a juvie spottail.  Next time you catch one, look at it's back where the dorsal fin is.  If there are obvious spots there, it is likely a swallowtail.  If not, it could be a number of other things.

Dustin Smith
At the convergence of the Broad, Saluda and Congaree
Lexington, SC

#7 taldridge0321

taldridge0321
  • NANFA Member

Posted 18 July 2016 - 12:01 PM

It certainly could be a juvie spottail.  Next time you catch one, look at it's back where the dorsal fin is.  If there are obvious spots there, it is likely a swallowtail.  If not, it could be a number of other things.

Ok, also, caught some new minnows yesterday, here in Waxhaw, they look very simaliar to juvenile Spottail, I will make a new folder now and put them in. Also, any news on the Brackish species album or the mountain shiner? I am leaning towards thinking the mountain shiner is in fact a juvenile Blacknose Dace. Thanks.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users