20 replies to this topic

#1 taldridge0321

taldridge0321
  • NANFA Member
  • Pigeon Watershed, North Carolina

Posted 20 July 2016 - 01:12 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

These darker ones were caught in the Lumber River, NC.

#2 taldridge0321

taldridge0321
  • NANFA Member

Posted 20 July 2016 - 01:14 PM

Unknown+1+_Large_.JPG

#3 taldridge0321

taldridge0321
  • NANFA Member

Posted 20 July 2016 - 01:15 PM

Unknown+4+_Large_.JPG

#4 taldridge0321

taldridge0321
  • NANFA Member

Posted 20 July 2016 - 01:15 PM

The rest of these lighter colored ones were caught near the Pee Dee River in a small creek. NC.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 20 July 2016 - 02:41 PM

Count the row of scales from just behind the head to the tail: creek chubsucker should have 40 to 45, lake chubsucker has 34 to 39, according to Fritz's book.

Creeks are much more common.  Not sure i've ever seen a lake - their range is mainly coastal plain.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#6 taldridge0321

taldridge0321
  • NANFA Member

Posted 20 July 2016 - 03:31 PM

Count the row of scales from just behind the head to the tail: creek chubsucker should have 40 to 45, lake chubsucker has 34 to 39, according to Fritz's book.

Creeks are much more common.  Not sure i've ever seen a lake - their range is mainly coastal plain.

Ok thanks.

Tim

#7 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 22 July 2016 - 05:27 PM

I counted 42 on one fish, so creek? What did you decide? I have only seen lake chubsuckers and yours look a bit different. Even as adults the lake's that I have seen seem to have a bit more patterning on them. Other than that and the scale count, they are awful similar. The one in the second photo is quite striking.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#8 taldridge0321

taldridge0321
  • NANFA Member

Posted 22 July 2016 - 05:49 PM

Thanks Matt. I caught the darker one in the first few photos in the Lumber River which is on the coastal plain, about two hours from my house. The other chubsuckes that are gold and have red fins I caught in the Pee Dee drainage which is closer. I think maybe the darker one may be a Lake? Can you count the scales on that one? I think the smaller gold ones were for sure Creek Chubsuckers.

Tim

I counted 42 on one fish, so creek? What did you decide? I have only seen lake chubsuckers and yours look a bit different. Even as adults the lake's that I have seen seem to have a bit more patterning on them. Other than that and the scale count, they are awful similar. The one in the second photo is quite striking.

#9 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 22 July 2016 - 06:08 PM

No, I count 36 plus your thumb. I reckon your thumb covers 4 or 5 so that puts it right on the edge. The dark color is not the pattern I speak of though. More blotching and sometimes still more of the dark stripe along the lateral line that is present in juveniles.

#10 taldridge0321

taldridge0321
  • NANFA Member

Posted 22 July 2016 - 06:14 PM

I think its a Creek myself. I wish it wasn't because I have never caught a Lake Chubsucker before. If you know anything about Darters check out my newest forum, just caught two that I can't quite id.

Tim

No, I count 36 plus your thumb. I reckon your thumb covers 4 or 5 so that puts it right on the edge. The dark color is not the pattern I speak of though. More blotching and sometimes still more of the dark stripe along the lateral line that is present in juveniles.

#11 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator

Posted 23 July 2016 - 11:19 AM

Chubsucker body pattern and fin color changes with age, mood, hormones, habitat, etc.  I've caught strongly-patterned and pattern-less creek chubsuckers of various sizes at the same time in NC.   The young-of-year are very distinctive, with a mid-dorsal black stripe that splits into a fork on top of the head.  I've never seen a lake chubsucker, far as I know. 

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#12 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator

Posted 23 July 2016 - 11:37 AM

I got 42 rows on the Lumber fish and 44 on the Waxhaw fish.  Had to guess near the tail where the pics get fuzzy.  That would be creek for both.

Attached Images

• Erimyzon oblong Waxhaw.NC T.Aldridge.44scalerows.jpg
  • Erimyzon oblong Lumber.R.NC T.Aldridge.42scalerows.jpg

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse

#13 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 23 July 2016 - 11:55 AM

How did you do the dot thing Gerald? Makes it much easier.

#14 taldridge0321

taldridge0321
  • NANFA Member

Posted 23 July 2016 - 12:20 PM

That's pretty impressive Gerald. I was hoping one might be a Lake but I guess not this time haha. I cant even find a good picture of one online either. Just in my guide book.

#15 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 23 July 2016 - 12:46 PM

http://gallery.nanfa...midae/Erimyzon/

Looks like Gerald is spot on, even creeks when taken care of(black bucket) can show quite a bit of patterning.

#16 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator

Posted 23 July 2016 - 03:57 PM

How did you do the dot thing Gerald? Makes it much easier.

I copied the image and opened it in PhotoScape (a free program, like a simplified PhotoShop) then used the "paint" tool to make a red dot on each scale row.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse

#17 Doug_Dame

Doug_Dame
  • NANFA Member

Posted 23 July 2016 - 05:14 PM

I copied the image and opened it in PhotoScape (a free program, like a simplified PhotoShop) then used the "paint" tool to make a red dot on each scale row.

Brilliant !!!! 

Ever better would be to add the dots, then go back and turn every 5th one into a short vertical bar and every 10th one into a longer bar. 

Doug Dame

Floridian now back in Florida

#18 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator

Posted 24 July 2016 - 01:33 PM

Brilliant !!!! 

Ever better would be to add the dots, then go back and turn every 5th one into a short vertical bar and every 10th one into a longer bar. 

Go ahead - i wont try to stop you.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse

#19 Doug_Dame

Doug_Dame
  • NANFA Member

Posted 24 July 2016 - 05:12 PM

Go ahead - i wont try to stop you.

You are generous, Sir. 

Some people would have applied for a patent for something this handy & clever. 

Doug Dame

Floridian now back in Florida

#20 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator

Posted 25 July 2016 - 11:46 AM

With your even-cleverer modifications it would certainly be worthy of a patent (all royalties to NANFA grant program of course).

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users