Caught a bass with scar

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_bearskookums_*

Guest_bearskookums_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2007 - 04:29 PM

Went fishing last week and caught a couple of bass, but this particular one was interesting. It was chunkier than the rest but upon turning it to its right, there a deep indentation just behind the soft dorsal and the scar can be seen running down the side of the tail.
Since most fishing spots have a 12 inch minimum on bass, how do you guys keep the smaller ones?
Attached File  Chunkybass1.jpg   34.92KB   7 downloads
Attached File  Chunkybass2.jpg   34.77KB   5 downloads

#2 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2007 - 07:12 PM

Ohio has no size limit on bass, excepting a few reservoirs, so anything caught here, other than by net or trap is legal. In states that have statewide size limits, The easiest thing in most states is to get your bass from a privately owned pond. A few states hold juisdiction over privately owned waters, but most do not. The important thing if you are getting them from a private pond in a state with size regulations, would be that you have the pond owner write you a voucher saying that he allowed you to take the fish. This should keep you legal.
Also dipnets, and seines should be legal in private ponds, which would allow you to target smaller bass.

Also bearskookums, to beat Ed to the punch. You have been around here long enough to know that you should update your profile to include your location. It is hard to help you with "interpretation of the law" without it.

#3 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2007 - 10:34 PM

that fish looks like something grabbed it by the tail and it shook itself loose and it healed up, probably when it was small(er)

#4 Guest_BlokOne_*

Guest_BlokOne_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2007 - 01:29 AM

where i got my bass from it was legal to take any bass as long as it was not between 12"-17"

#5 Guest_bearskookums_*

Guest_bearskookums_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2007 - 12:19 AM

Haha, updated my locale, thanks for the tip Skipjack, Ed you there???
Anyway yeah I think that bass probably escaped being lunch...could be a bigger bass or striped bass, or maybe even a Heron.
He's pretty lucky to have that dent in the tail and yet grew chunkier than 2 other bass I caught of the same size.

#6 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2007 - 06:34 PM

A few states hold juisdiction over privately owned waters, but most do not. The important thing if you are getting them from a private pond in a state with size regulations, would be that you have the pond owner write you a voucher saying that he allowed you to take the fish. This should keep you legal.
Also dipnets, and seines should be legal in private ponds, which would allow you to target smaller bass.

Do you know if this applies in GA?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users