Photo

Last tank I have

85 replies to this topic

#21 9darlingcalvi

9darlingcalvi
  • NANFA Guest
  • Northern Minnesota

Posted 13 February 2017 - 08:33 PM

I'm sticking with just ghost shrimp, make it easier and hopefully their small bioload with lots of plants won't start the nitrogen cycle???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#22 BenCantrell

BenCantrell
  • Sebastian, FL

Posted 13 February 2017 - 10:37 PM

I had a different experience with sticklebacks.  For a while I had 6 of them in a heavily planted 10 gallon, and they got along fine.  :-k   Could they be like cichlids where you either have one of them or a bunch of them?

#23 Duckman77

Duckman77
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 14 February 2017 - 09:00 AM

I think your aquascaping looks great so far.  I might suggest painting the back of the tank black.  I do that on all my tanks.  I feel it gives a nice clean look with an appearance of depth. 

#24 truecrimson

truecrimson
  • NANFA Guest
  • Leb-A-non, PA

Posted 14 February 2017 - 09:41 AM

I agree, the aquascaping looks great.

#25 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 14 February 2017 - 09:46 AM

I had a different experience with sticklebacks.  For a while I had 6 of them in a heavily planted 10 gallon, and they got along fine.  :-k   Could they be like cichlids where you either have one of them or a bunch of them?

That may be the case. Brook sticklebacks can really vary in phenotype from population to population. Maybe they also vary in attitude.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#26 9darlingcalvi

9darlingcalvi
  • NANFA Guest
  • Northern Minnesota

Posted 14 February 2017 - 10:27 AM

Okay, should I use acrylic paint? And I can't have any fish, they would jump and my mother won't allow any fish...but I can have lizards ;( doesn't make sense but okay.

#27 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 14 February 2017 - 11:08 AM

Yes.  Just get a can of spray paint and paint the outside of the back panel of glass.  It is pretty fast.  Be sure to tape off and cover the other sides so excess spray doesn't get on them.  Although it is pretty easy to scrape off with a razor blade.  And, I'd recommend painting it upside-down.  That way you don't have to cover the top and worry about paint getting inside. 

Nick L.

#28 9darlingcalvi

9darlingcalvi
  • NANFA Guest
  • Northern Minnesota

Posted 14 February 2017 - 11:54 AM

Okay, so ghost shrimp or a crayfish it is, problaby just ghost shrimp

#29 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 14 February 2017 - 05:21 PM

Hate to say it, go non-native and get red cherry shrimp. You will get to watch them breed. Ghost shrimp will have almost zero recruitment, where RCS will breed and produce young. Mentioning this due to your lack of resources due to the rents.

#30 gzeiger

gzeiger
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:10 PM

Also ghost shrimp are actually the worst jumpers you can imagine.

#31 9darlingcalvi

9darlingcalvi
  • NANFA Guest
  • Northern Minnesota

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:45 PM

What rents? I go to UWSP in 2 years...how about dwarf crayfish

#32 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 14 February 2017 - 10:37 PM

paRENTS. Horrible creatures aren't we?

#33 Doug_Dame

Doug_Dame
  • NANFA Member

Posted 15 February 2017 - 12:22 AM

Taping a black plastic bag on the back wall is quicker and easier than painting it. Not as durable, of course.

Doug Dame

Floridian now back in Florida

#34 9darlingcalvi

9darlingcalvi
  • NANFA Guest
  • Northern Minnesota

Posted 15 February 2017 - 07:40 AM

Yeah evil creatures the feed is, give us clothes and a house, let us hang with friends, teach us life lessons, trust us with cars and lots of other stuff. Most evil creature ever lol. On a serious note, my mom didn't know I had another tank that's why she kept saying no to fish. I think I'll get a darter or two

#35 WheelsOC

WheelsOC
  • NANFA Member

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:12 AM

Taping a black plastic bag on the back wall is quicker and easier than painting it. Not as durable, of course.

It was easy for me to paint my 10 gallon quarantine tank and my 56 gallon display tank with a cheap quart of matte black acrylic paint from Wal-Mart. The first coat is awkward and streaky because the glass has no "tooth" to it, but once that dries you can start applying more coats and they dry very evenly.

Acrylic paint has two advantages going for it: it's super cheap, and it peels right off in big pieces and leaves clean glass behind with minimal fuss. A pass with a razor blade can be all you need to get started. "Shaving" acrylic paint is probably the easiest way to undo a painted tank. The downside is that you do need multiple coats to get a nice thick layer of it, and it takes time for each coat to set up before it's ready for the next.

#36 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:17 AM

I think the aquascaping looks great as well.  Good luck with this tank.  You've had your share of bad luck, so now it's time for some good luck.  Looking forward to the final setup.

Kevin Wilson

#37 9darlingcalvi

9darlingcalvi
  • NANFA Guest
  • Northern Minnesota

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:57 AM

Yeah, a pair of Johnny's are coming in Juneish

#38 9darlingcalvi

9darlingcalvi
  • NANFA Guest
  • Northern Minnesota

Posted 15 February 2017 - 02:36 PM

Now if only I could get the algae to grow on my rocks

#39 9darlingcalvi

9darlingcalvi
  • NANFA Guest
  • Northern Minnesota

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:16 PM

Now the real question...Iowa or Johnny darters?

#40 9darlingcalvi

9darlingcalvi
  • NANFA Guest
  • Northern Minnesota

Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:55 PM

Picked up a free aquaclean 10 internal filter today, it came with 4 spare cartridges

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users