Photo

NANFA Facebook Page help

24 replies to this topic

#21 zooxanthellae

zooxanthellae
  • NANFA Member
  • North Carolina

Posted 26 May 2017 - 07:27 PM

There was also a recent post that was quite offensive regarding a fish ID from the Detroit River.  What was most disturbing is it had 35 likes last time I saw it.  It puts NANFA in a bad light.  I know I am guilty of jumping in on a few posts where I regretted it lately.  That is why I am trying to move back to the forum.

We could establish a closed group on FB.  That way we can control the access.  But that kind of defeats the purpose; we should be able to use the FB to promote our organization. 

There are lots of security options that we could explore.  Facebook is not always a polite community.

I avoid posting to that group like the plague, mostly for the reasons Michael mentioned. I would like to be able to use it more often, but in it's current state...idk, it's a hard sell. Not trying to denigrate all the work you guys put into it, I know it is a lot, and I definitely appreciate it. If you end up needing more help, I would gladly volunteer my time. 

#22 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 28 May 2017 - 01:02 PM

While I'm not necessarily a fan of some aspects of the NANFA Facebook group, I do value its reach. The fish photos I share there reach the greatest number of people, some of whom are important names in the ichthyological field who I would otherwise have no connection to. Like it or not, it seems to be the format the greatest number of people are using at the moment. I think it would be best for NANFA to embrace it. If inappropriate content is a concern, I would think it could be addressed with clear rules/guidelines and proactive management. For example, I've been in some groups where every new post has to first be approved by a page manager before showing up on the page. If that's too much work, problem posts could simply be removed when noticed, similar to how it's done on this forum.

#23 fundulus

fundulus
  • Global Moderator

Posted 29 May 2017 - 05:44 PM

Speaking as one of the moderators/straw bosses of that FB page, we do remove posts on a regular basis and ban whomever posted it. If you flag a post we go and look at it, and often use the axe. Funny, it IS a closed group, but I approve member requests if they look like they have any real interest in aquaria in general. This means I have barred countless Albanian gangsters, "Indians", and Vietnamese anime fans among others. If you have any problems feel free to contact me, stallsb at uah.edu. I am here but to serve.
Bruce Stallsmith, Huntsville, Alabama, US of A

#24 MichiJim

MichiJim
  • NANFA Guest
  • Michigan Upper Peninsula

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:08 AM

Isaac, your photos are some of the best reasons to follow the site.

I, too, am trying to avoid the heated discussions, especially on ID.  Maybe we should look at starting a lab to do hybrid DNA analysis. 

Bruce, thank you for your efforts.  I do remember that I had to be added to the closed group now.  I participate because it is a great outreach tool.  Most of the time it hits the mark.

#25 fundulus

fundulus
  • Global Moderator

Posted 09 June 2017 - 11:12 AM

Thanks Jim. Yeah, discussions about alleged hybrids especially with Lepomis species are always "interesting." Whatever floats your goat....

Bruce Stallsmith, Huntsville, Alabama, US of A

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users