Photo

Richmond, Scotland, Moore counties NC

24 replies to this topic

#21 Dustin

Dustin
  • Forum Staff

Posted 26 October 2017 - 02:38 PM

It is indeed luck when I catch one.  I'm always surprised.  I did hit a spot earlier this year that was packed with juveniles though.  Probably caught 20 or so in short order.

Dustin Smith
At the convergence of the Broad, Saluda and Congaree
Lexington, SC

#22 itsme

itsme
  • NANFA Member

Posted 26 October 2017 - 10:13 PM

Sadly I did not look at the forum the last few days so I never connected with Tim. I did sample some nice looking pinewood Carter's at gum swamp pond. Didn't keep them though. I have had a great time got banded pygmy sunfish, black banded sunfish, flier, dollars, warmouth, creek chub sucker, margined madtoms, pirate perch, Red fin pickeral, blue gills, redbreast, blue spots, gambusia, swamp Carter's, sawcheek darters, eastern mudminnows, lined topminnows, tesselated darters, fantails, piedmont darters, bluehead chubs, redlip shiners, dusky shiners, fieryblack shiners, whitefin shiners, maybe a tiny highback chub. A couple other silvery shiners probably satinfins and eastern silvery minnows. Two little stinkpot turtles, a bunch of neat eastern newts with red lines instead of just red spots.
Might try Drowning creek for some swampfish since its only 2 miles from my hotel. Heading north tomorrow with a couple stops near Durham.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Dang, I think you did all right!  Couldn't have done much better than that!

#23 Doug_Dame

Doug_Dame
  • NANFA Member

Posted 26 October 2017 - 10:38 PM

SKS caught 2 mud sunfish in one seine haul in the Tallahassee area in Fla a few years ago. Only ones I've ever seen. I don't recall that anybody really wanted 'em at the time, I think we dumped 'em back. No keepers of sunfish on the team that day.

Lucky Dustin needs to get out more, to share his magic.

Doug Dame

Floridian now in Cincinnati

#24 taldridge0321

taldridge0321
  • NANFA Member
  • Pigeon Watershed, North Carolina

Posted 27 October 2017 - 06:02 AM

SKS caught 2 mud sunfish in one seine haul in the Tallahassee area in Fla a few years ago. Only ones I've ever seen. I don't recall that anybody really wanted 'em at the time, I think we dumped 'em back. No keepers of sunfish on the team that day.

Lucky Dustin needs to get out more, to share his magic.

Agreed haha. I've been trying to get him out for awhile now.

#25 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 27 October 2017 - 11:08 AM

To find muds, pretend you're hunting for dwarf waterdogs ... dig into the leaf litter, branch piles, and roots, then haul it up on shore and pick through.  They're not up in the water column, at least not when humans are nearby.  (But they do get very tame and personable in captivity).

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users