How shy are these fish?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Couesfanatic

Couesfanatic
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:08 PM

A little background info:

I have two 5 gallon tanks, both with moss, lots of plants. Snail, bugs and worms on the glass. Have frozen bloodworms on hand and brine shrimp with hatchery. I have a local contact with white worms I plan on starting. I'm planning on breeding one of these fish with either rotating the adults back and forth or moving fry. 

I have kept the Scarlet Badis in the past and have enjoyed their looks and behavior. How does the Pygmy Sunfish compare with regards to behavior. I have read that they are so shy that you hardly see them. My Scarlet badis was very bold and acted like a Betta, would come up to the glass and let me hand feed it basically. 

I like the looks of the Pygmy Sunfish over the Scarlet Badis but i'm concerned about not seeing the fish. I know they can be trained somewhat. 

Any advice?

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:26 PM

You would see them. If they are the only thing in the tank, the males will take up a small territory and you will see them 'dance'.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:36 AM

They are very entertaining to watch, but you need to be still to really enjoy them.  Too much activity outside their tank will make them hide.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#4 Couesfanatic

Couesfanatic
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:42 PM

Thanks for the advice. I plan to buy soon from Sachs Aquaculture. I spoke with them on the phone a few weeks ago and they are breeding several types of Pygmy Sunfish in tubs or pools. 

#5 Couesfanatic

Couesfanatic
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 28 April 2017 - 11:08 PM

Is two males and two females too many fish for a 5.5 gallon? I have two 5 gallons available but I'd like to keep one open for fry. Not sure on weather I want to move the adults or move the fry to the open tank when the time comes. 

#6 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 29 April 2017 - 04:04 PM

One male is likely to dominate and suppress the other in a 5 gal tank.  I'd suggest a 10 gal or larger if you want both males to look good and breed.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users