Photo

ID help with these fish

28 replies to this topic

#21 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 10 June 2017 - 03:20 PM

I showed Casper these and he agrees with Striped Shiner just like you did. The Telescope or Bigeye, I'd really like to figure that one out. 

I see bigeye fairly often in Ohio and Kentucky. I immediately thought bigeye when I saw the photo. I have only seen telescope on a couple occasions, so really can't say that they aren't.

I also agree with the striped shiner, stoneroller and golden shiner. Mississippi silverside seems like a good call, I didn't notice the lack of a "beak" until you pointed it out. Darter number 4 has those odd head markings that look like holes that you see on striped darters, and some others in that complex. 

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#22 taldridge0321

taldridge0321
  • NANFA Member
  • Pigeon Watershed, North Carolina

Posted 10 June 2017 - 03:26 PM

I see bigeye fairly often in Ohio and Kentucky. I immediately thought bigeye when I saw the photo. I have only seen telescope on a couple occasions, so really can't say that they aren't.

I also agree with the striped shiner, stoneroller and golden shiner. Mississippi silverside seems like a good call, I didn't notice the lack of a "beak" until you pointed it out. Darter number 4 has those odd head markings that look like holes that you see on striped darters, and some others in that complex.

I checked my Peterson and Fish Map and noticed Inland Silversides may be present there as well, to further confuse things. Haha. I don't think we'll be able to tell the difference since we can't see the dorsal fin in my pictures.  

#23 JasonL

JasonL
  • NANFA Member
  • Kentucky

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:23 PM

I've spent countless hours fishing at Kentucky Dam Village. The bays are indeed loaded with silversides which I have had little success keeping alive more than a few hours. There are also some interesting creeks in that vicinicity with quite a bit of diversity. Next time you're over this way send me a message and I'll let you in on a few honey holes I have found.

#24 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:33 PM

I've spent countless hours fishing at Kentucky Dam Village. The bays are indeed loaded with silversides which I have had little success keeping alive more than a few hours. There are also some interesting creeks in that vicinicity with quite a bit of diversity. Next time you're over this way send me a message and I'll let you in on a few honey holes I have found.

OK Jason, then you probably have a clue of the species? We might be stabbing at the dark on these silversides. Some local help?

#25 JasonL

JasonL
  • NANFA Member
  • Kentucky

Posted 10 June 2017 - 10:29 PM

OK Jason, then you probably have a clue of the species? We might be stabbing at the dark on these silversides. Some local help?

I don't think Mississippi Silversides have been reported in Marshall County per the KDFWR website. If present I would suggest they are very rare. I can tell you Brooks silversides are everywhere around the marina where Todd sampled and the beaklike appearance is unmistakable. So I'd go with Brooks in this case even though the pics posted don't look classic.

#26 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 10 June 2017 - 11:11 PM

That was what I thought, and probably Gerald as well. You see silversides and you immediately assume brook. Which in most waters is the case. I really don't know? Hoof prints? Horses or zebra? Those silversides do have a very short nose without the beak like appearance, so they may be something else, but the longer I have been into this the more I see differences in various populations. To be honest the longer I have been into this the more it can confuse me. I can ID my local fish.

#27 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 11 June 2017 - 11:32 AM

Matt's right -- i saw a silverside and assumed Brook; didn't realize until i checked range maps that Menidia extends into western KY.

Peterson guide says inland/Miss silversides have been stocked in reservoirs as a forage fish.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#28 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 11 June 2017 - 11:33 AM

That means you're getting smarter.

To be honest the longer I have been into this the more it can confuse me.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#29 taldridge0321

taldridge0321
  • NANFA Member
  • Pigeon Watershed, North Carolina

Posted 12 June 2017 - 07:38 AM

Thanks for the help fellas, I think I will label the rest of the unknown Darters under Fantails. 

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users