Photo

Sailfin Mollies

5 replies to this topic

#1 Moontanman

Moontanman
  • NANFA Member

Posted 02 September 2017 - 02:35 PM

Does anyone have access to these big wild mollies? 

Michael

Life is the poetry of the universe
Love is the poetry of life

#2 mmyers1976

mmyers1976
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 26 February 2018 - 11:42 AM

I do, they are abundant and easy to catch in several locations here throughout the Houston area in the summer, if you know where to look. I've stocked them in my little 150 gallon garden pond. The females seem hardy and reproduce, but the males don't stick around long, I wonder if their flashy fins attract birds and other predators that pick them out of the pond when I'm not around. I have tried a lot of natives in my pond over the years, but now just stick to mosquitofish, which overwinter far better than mollies or any other native fish (they even survived our record hard freeze this year without a heater).

#3 Moontanman

Moontanman
  • NANFA Member

Posted 26 February 2018 - 05:29 PM

Gambusia are quite common here as well. I'd like a few of the wild big green sailfin mollies, used to be able to get them in pet shops but it's been years since I've seen any. Used to come in almost 6" long... 

Michael

#4 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 26 February 2018 - 06:28 PM

Have access to some that aren't quite that beefy but have nice colors. From a brackish "lagoon" on Hilton Head Island. Am not there terribly often, but may be in couple weeks. Would be happy to net you a few if you're interested. As long as you aren't in a hurry; a "couple weeks" is tentative.

That said, I saw a report of a Snowy Owl actually showing up on the mainland a short ways from HHI. That bird is on my wife and my "life-lift must have" docket. If the reports turn out to be true we may be down there much sooner... :)
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#5 Moontanman

Moontanman
  • NANFA Member

Posted 26 February 2018 - 07:23 PM

Have access to some that aren't quite that beefy but have nice colors. From a brackish "lagoon" on Hilton Head Island. Am not there terribly often, but may be in couple weeks. Would be happy to net you a few if you're interested. As long as you aren't in a hurry; a "couple weeks" is tentative.

That said, I saw a report of a Snowy Owl actually showing up on the mainland a short ways from HHI. That bird is on my wife and my "life-lift must have" docket. If the reports turn out to be true we may be down there much sooner... :)

Time is the only thing I seem to have lots of. My wife was telling me about it today. It would be nice to see one, wild that it is this far south. I used to set in traffic coming home to work and watch bald eagles flying around the old dead cypress trees. Not sure if they are still there. I have seen some mollies here in Carolina Beach lake but they are very small, hard to tell apart from gambusia. I thought I had found a bunch of them here in Wilmington last summer but I think I was mistaken, they appeared to be huge but I'm not really sure what they were. They were too fast to catch but there was a large school of what ever it was...  

Michael

#6 Veritas1980

Veritas1980
  • NANFA Guest
  • Houston, TX

Posted 03 April 2023 - 03:41 PM

I know this is an old thread, but I love the Poecilia Latipinna we have around houston, but I always have problems keeping them alive. they always waste away to nothing, no matter what medication I try.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users