Elassoma in Paradise

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BeastMaster

BeastMaster
  • NANFA Guest
  • Honolulu, HI

Posted 27 December 2017 - 03:13 PM

Aloha everyone. New to NANFA but have kept Pygmy Sunfish for over 4 yrs. Got my original stock from Sach’s & an additional batch about 2 yrs ago. Currently house 2 populations outdoors in Walstad style tanks using pearl weed as their refuge. Because they are outdoors on my lanai, the tanks have a natural population of micro fauna but, I supplemental feed daphnia once a week.
In January I’ll be visiting Orlando, around Disneyworld. Am interested in exploring some of the streams in the area & was wondering if anyone has any experience with this? Local streams or bodies of water that have documented Elassoma populations? Any lfs that stock them? Any Aquarium Club in this area & when do they meet? Mahalo in advance & Happy New Year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 BeastMaster

BeastMaster
  • NANFA Guest
  • Honolulu, HI

Posted 27 December 2017 - 04:52 PM

https://youtu.be/CHCgtTRtf2g
Here’s a video I recorded 4 yrs ago when I 1st started out w/ planted nano tanks & Pygmy Sunfish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by BeastMaster, 27 December 2017 - 04:55 PM.

#3 don212

don212
  • NANFA Member

Posted 28 December 2017 - 09:05 AM

`not that close i think, but Wekiva Springs state park.                n28.2095, w 81.4628 fl. collectors guide.

#4 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 28 December 2017 - 12:51 PM

10+ yrs ago i saw either okefenokee or evergladei (maybe both?) at the lower end of Rock Spring (Kelly Park) in Apopka FL.  Lots of bluefin and rainwater killies there too.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#5 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 03 January 2018 - 05:47 AM

The springs and river at Wekiva (I think the park is actually called Wekiwa, though) are very pretty and a lot of fun, but there is also a pond on the property a good ways from the spring and river that might be worth checking out. It's been many a year since I've been there, but there's a road that will take you almost to the pond. It cuts off to the left from where the springs parking is. Check the park map. Would love to get back there some day and swing a dip net... Maybe that is the location Don gave you the coordinates for.

DANG! I just remembered I meant to ask for the FL Collector's Guide for Christmas. But I forgot. Boo!!
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users