Photo

Mudminnows in a container pond

3 replies to this topic

#1 Joshaeus

Joshaeus
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 11 September 2018 - 08:15 AM

Hi everyone! I was thinking of setting up a 54 inch by 36 inch by 20H inch water trough as a water garden next year and was wondering what to put in it. My thoughts have wandered to mudminnows...not very colorful, but they would have a LONG season in my water garden and might even spawn if I put them out early enough. How would mudminnows do in a water garden? Would they survive under a thin layer of ice in a container pond? And could I house them in a 10 gallon when it gets so cold even the mudminnows need to come in? Thanks :)

#2 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 11 September 2018 - 12:12 PM

Yes - IMO they are the all-around best fish for small pools and tubs (provided that you're OK with never seeing them).  Better freeze-tolerance than Gambusia, good heat tolerance, and great skeeter-eaters.  I've had a colony for years in a 12" deep wading pool above ground in central NC.  It gets 2-3" thick ice in winter.  Fry appear most years in early April.  They're the only fish I've had overwinter in above-ground containers reliably year after year.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#3 Joshaeus

Joshaeus
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 11 September 2018 - 01:18 PM

Impressive...what about up here in zone 5? Would April to November be a good estimate for how long they can stay outside?

#4 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 11 September 2018 - 10:04 PM

Yes and possibly longer depending on the size of the container.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users