Photo

120gal Oyster reef aquarium (NMNA)

11 replies to this topic

#1 damias

damias
  • NANFA Guest
  • Charlotte/Raleigh, NC

Posted 29 December 2018 - 02:32 AM

Saw this when I was looking through youtube and I thought of you guys, Chasmodes in particular. Thought you might get a kick from it.

#2 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 29 December 2018 - 09:59 AM

NIce discussion of both the aquarium and bay ecosystem!  Is this "our" Nick formerly from the old National Aquarium in DC?  He posted quite a bit on this forum in years past.  Search for "Littlen".

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#3 brackishdude

brackishdude
  • NANFA Member

Posted 29 December 2018 - 11:17 AM

That tank is very reminiscent of my 180gal, except that mine is lower salinity brackish, stocked with many of the same small fish, but caught along the Louisiana gulf coast, including skillet fish, naked gobies, and sheepshead minnows.  We do not have mummichogs, but we do have fundulus grandis ("cocahoe") which are the local equivalent but get a bit too big and aggressive for my tank.

I hope to create a similar oyster Reef in the tank some day, and include some blennies.  This video and Chas's thread on this site are truly inspirational.

As your fellow, I can demand of you no more, and accept no less, than I allow to be demanded of myself

#4 damias

damias
  • NANFA Guest
  • Charlotte/Raleigh, NC

Posted 31 December 2018 - 02:25 AM

That tank is very reminiscent of my 180gal, except that mine is lower salinity brackish, stocked with many of the same small fish, but caught along the Louisiana gulf coast, including skillet fish, naked gobies, and sheepshead minnows.  We do not have mummichogs, but we do have fundulus grandis ("cocahoe") which are the local equivalent but get a bit too big and aggressive for my tank.

I hope to create a similar oyster Reef in the tank some day, and include some blennies.  This video and Chas's thread on this site are truly inspirational.

Chas' is the reason I wanted to get into saltwater natives in the first place!

You should post vids of your tank, would love to see it until I get can my own set up.

#5 damias

damias
  • NANFA Guest
  • Charlotte/Raleigh, NC

Posted 31 December 2018 - 02:25 AM

NIce discussion of both the aquarium and bay ecosystem!  Is this "our" Nick formerly from the old National Aquarium in DC?  He posted quite a bit on this forum in years past.  Search for "Littlen".

Not sure but I can look it up and ask!

#6 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 31 December 2018 - 07:53 AM

Thanks for sharing this video damias.  This isn't Littlen Nick's tank.  This aquarist's name is Nick Kinser, who is the aquarist at another local DC aquarium, the Glen Echo Park Aquarium, where you can visit and see this oyster reef.  I helped Nick collect most of the oyster shells and majority of fish for this aquarium.  He contacted me a couple years ago after seeing my build on line and videos of my tank to answer some questions and hit it off as friends.  We need to collect more blennies for his tank.  Right now, there are two Chasmodes blennies in the tank, both males.  Our goal this year will to be to stock many more of them in there, and make sure he gets a female blenny.  I encourage anyone in the DC area to visit the Glen Echo Park Aquarium.  They have some really good displays of fish from the Chesapeake Bay and the entire watershed.  I will help him with a build for his river tank as well as soon as the weather warms a bit.

Kevin Wilson

#7 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 31 December 2018 - 08:27 AM

I'm still around!  That is a great tank.  The only contribution I can make to this post is that the tank could be the 120 that I donated to Glen Echo about a year ago.  If so, it looks fantastic and I'm glad it went on to become a fine display.  Well done all around Kevin and Nick K.

Nick L.

#8 Doug_Dame

Doug_Dame
  • NANFA Member

Posted 31 December 2018 - 07:43 PM

Donating a 120g tank is a serious contribution. Thank you for re-purposing it wisely. And kindly.

Doug Dame

Floridian now back in Florida

#9 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 01 January 2019 - 10:03 AM

:biggrin:

Nick L.

#10 GEPAquarium

GEPAquarium
  • NANFA Guest
  • Sterling VA

Posted 01 January 2019 - 05:35 PM

Hello everyone, I finally joined, thanks to Chasmodes frequent encouragement. This is my first post. My name is Nick Kinser, I am the aquarist for the Glen Echo Park Aquarium, a small but awesome aquarium dedicated to education and the preservation of the Chesapeake Bay water shed. I hope you all enjoyed this video by my friend Alex, whom runs the Tank Tested YouTube channel and website.

Hi Nick, the tank in the video is not the tank you donated. It has taken me almost a year but I'm very close to being finished with the tank you donated. It is going to be a salt marsh tank that houses a diamond back terrapin, as well as live oysters, ribbed mussels, mud crabs, grass shrimp and mumichogs. It was my intention to email you with pictures once it was finished cycling. Instead I will post it on the forum.

#11 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 02 January 2019 - 07:03 AM

I'm still around!  That is a great tank.  The only contribution I can make to this post is that the tank could be the 120 that I donated to Glen Echo about a year ago.  If so, it looks fantastic and I'm glad it went on to become a fine display.  Well done all around Kevin and Nick K.

Statement retracted!  But, looks like it'll become a fine exhibit nonetheless.  Welcome aboard, Nick.  Fine job you all are doing over there.

Nick L.

#12 Moontanman

Moontanman
  • NANFA Member

Posted 02 January 2019 - 04:21 PM

Great looking tank, a wide variety of fishes live in the brackish environment, around here the brackish environment is large and easy to collect from.  

Michael

Life is the poetry of the universe
Love is the poetry of life

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users