Where to find pygmy sunfish

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Manuel809

Manuel809
  • NANFA Guest
  • Massachusetts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 04:54 AM

Hi, I've been trying to purchase pygmy sunfish for a long time without luck. I was wondering if anyone was willing to sell me a pair or let me know where I can find them.

#2 JasonL

JasonL
  • NANFA Member
  • Kentucky

Posted 27 April 2019 - 10:49 AM

Saw that Jonahs Aquarium online has some nice ones recently and will ship them. I would start there.

#3 JackHaldane

JackHaldane
  • NANFA Member

Posted 01 May 2019 - 03:16 PM

I got mine from Sachs systems aquaculture, they have several species and I was extremely happy with mine.

#4 Dustin

Dustin
  • Forum Staff

Posted 07 May 2019 - 09:50 AM

I second Jonahs.  They should have both zonatum and evergladei at least. 

His website is not up to date.  I would suggest emailing him at jonah@jonahsaquarium.com .  He can provide you with an update list.

Dustin Smith
At the convergence of the Broad, Saluda and Congaree
Lexington, SC

#5 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 07 May 2019 - 04:36 PM

I will put in my two cents as well. Jonah's and Zimmerman's are the two vendors that I really respect. I have had a good transaction with Sach's as well, but I don't know them like I know the others.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#6 Manuel809

Manuel809
  • NANFA Guest
  • Massachusetts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 06:43 PM

Thanks for the replies. I’ve been trying to order of of Jonahs Aquarium’s page but he hasn’t responded in a couple of days. I’m starting to get the feeling that if I want this fish I will have to go collect it lol.

#7 Doug_Dame

Doug_Dame
  • NANFA Member

Posted 20 May 2019 - 07:14 PM

I’m starting to get the feeling that if I want this fish I will have to go collect it lol.

That is ALWAYS the fun alternative.

Not necessarily always the most practical, or fastest, or even cheapest way. But .... FUN!

Doug Dame

Floridian now back in Florida

#8 Manuel809

Manuel809
  • NANFA Guest
  • Massachusetts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 02:21 AM

I actually want to go collecting in a month or two. Do you know of any good spots for collecting Pygmy sunfish in Florida?

#9 Dustin

Dustin
  • Forum Staff

Posted 22 May 2019 - 09:31 AM

Pretty much any ditch, pond or lake that has consistent water levels will have Elassoma in Florida.  They will be up near the bank in the vegetation, sometimes in incredibly shallow hot water.

Dustin Smith
At the convergence of the Broad, Saluda and Congaree
Lexington, SC

#10 itsme

itsme
  • NANFA Member

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:05 PM

Is this Manuel Pol? For collecting (such fun!) You'll need one of these: http://jonahsaquariu...e/netdipnet.htm We'll ship your fish next week. Thanks!

#11 itsme

itsme
  • NANFA Member

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:07 PM

If you go out, try to find some Pygmy killifish as well. Perfect tankmates for Elassoma and Heterandria. Swamp Darters are good too! And Brown Darters!

#12 itsme

itsme
  • NANFA Member

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:09 PM

Least Darters also, though they are not in FL. Cypress Darters I think are up in the panhandle.

#13 Manuel809

Manuel809
  • NANFA Guest
  • Massachusetts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 03:05 PM

Thanks for the replies. I was wondering if anyone had any specific locations that I can put into my gps. This will be my first time in Florida so anything will help. Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users