Photo

TN River Rescue 2019

27 replies to this topic

#21 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 30 September 2019 - 03:42 PM

So much for promises...

I went back Sunday for about 4 hours and i have to say most of the trash is now gathered and and bagged.  3 years of activity has really gleaned this 300 yard stretch.  At the end i was able to uproot several more tires, flush them out and perch them in log jams or up on the banks.  Still a good bit of work to haul them up the steep banks to the roadside.  Weather looks good for this Saturday, a chance of rain on Friday but not enough concern to alter plans.  I need help!

I did find this very old Coca-Cola bottle.

Bottle.JPG

The 3 bass followed me eager for another meal, many pods of logperch, several turtles sunning, and the standard assortment of sunfish.  The water is way low and all the shiners are missing.  I presume they have moved to higher flow zones.

The next issue of American Currents will have an article about the first 2 years doing this.  This will be my 3rd and likely last as this North Chick site.

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#22 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 01 October 2019 - 12:49 PM

Kudos to you, good Sir.  This is all very impressive and admirable work you're doing.  I'm looking forward to reading more in the next issue of AC.  Thank you for all your contributions.

Nick L.

#23 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 03 October 2019 - 11:29 AM

I'm happy and relieved to say i am going to be assisted by 7 snorkeling trash mongers!  Final preparations today and tomorrow, weather is ideal.  RV Camping afterwards.

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#24 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 07 October 2019 - 12:13 PM

1-TRR-2019.jpg

2-TRR-2019.jpg

3-TRR-2019.jpg

4-TRR-2019.jpg

5-TRR-2019.jpg

6-TRR-2019.jpg

We done good.  After 3 years this 300 yard stretch is pretty much clear of all tires and trash.  I'm curious what the next flood scour event will expose if anything.

I'm very grateful for the volunteer assistance.  We had 3 Hefters and 3 Snorkelers which worked out perfectly.  Afterwards we enjoyed a fine Cajun meal at J. Gumbos, socialized and returned to our homes.  I rested, recovered and dreamed of bottles left behind.  Sunday i returned and dumpster dove to sort through the 13 bags finding a few prizes i we overlooked.

Casper Cox

#25 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 07 October 2019 - 03:01 PM

Very cool.  Nice work!

Kevin Wilson

#26 Fleendar the Magnificent

Fleendar the Magnificent
  • NANFA Member
  • Ohio

Posted 07 October 2019 - 03:59 PM

Wow!  Look at all of that stuff! Do you ever find glass or porcelain electric insulators? Glad to see someone taking an initiative to clean up the rivers.

Thank you!

#27 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 28 September 2020 - 01:16 PM

This Saturday.

Noon.

October 3rd.

No tires, just pulling up the bags I've filled during this Spring & Summer.

Casper Cox

#28 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 05 October 2020 - 12:47 PM

22-TruckLoad.JPG

October 3 2020.

Snorkeled up 10 bags and picked up another 10 from the bank.

A great crew on a fine day.

Casper Cox

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users