Photo

Heterandria formosa as a dither fish

4 replies to this topic

#1 Joshaeus

Joshaeus
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 11 July 2020 - 07:46 AM

Hi everyone! Here's a question...how well does Heterandria formosa work as a dither fish (in this context, to encourage shyer species to come out of hiding)? And if they work as dithers, what is the largest fish that could be safely kept with these midgets? I understant that bluefin killies have been kept with adult 'hets' without incident, but was wondering whether Fundulus cingulatus or rubrifrons would also be safe. Thanks :)

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 11 July 2020 - 11:06 PM

Fundulus would eat em.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Joshaeus

Joshaeus
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 12 July 2020 - 05:58 AM

Fundulus would eat em.

That's what I was afraid of. Oh well...would they be good dithers for bluefin killies, pygmy sunfishes, or pygmy killifishes (Leptolucania)?

#4 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 12 July 2020 - 07:32 AM

I dont understand the concept of dither fish... the fish you mention are always near cover in nature... its the way they are.  The beauty of some of these fish is at least in part, how they act in their habitat.  They are not on display all the time, they are lurking in and around plant cover.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#5 Joshaeus

Joshaeus
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 12 July 2020 - 08:35 AM

I dont understand the concept of dither fish... the fish you mention are always near cover in nature... its the way they are.  The beauty of some of these fish is at least in part, how they act in their habitat.  They are not on display all the time, they are lurking in and around plant cover.

I wasn't expecting them to be out and about every second...I just wanted them to feel comfortable coming out so I can see them, and my thought was that seeing a top dwelling fish swimming calmly around would encourage them that the coast is clear and they can come out if they want to. The tank is going to be heavily planted, so they will have the option to hide if they wish.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users