Photo

Pumpkinseed breeding

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 fishsauce

fishsauce
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 11 July 2020 - 06:12 PM

Not sure if this is how to upload, but here goes.

https://youtu.be/hFHPhu0CwLQ

#2 fishsauce

fishsauce
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 11 July 2020 - 06:14 PM

https://youtu.be/0LcjKPSZ-Do

https://youtu.be/0ZTb-vcH3Yo

#3 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 11 July 2020 - 07:44 PM

Very cool.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#4 fishsauce

fishsauce
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 12 July 2020 - 09:52 AM

Very interesting behavior this morning. The female took over the duty of guarding the nest. She's much bigger than the male. She fans the eggs, and even drives the male away when he gets near.

#5 fishsauce

fishsauce
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 12 July 2020 - 09:54 AM

Some pics

Attached Files

#6 fishsauce

fishsauce
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 12 July 2020 - 09:56 AM

One more egg pic

Attached Files

#7 fishsauce

fishsauce
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 12 July 2020 - 10:09 AM

Also, this will be my first time breeding any kind of sunfish.  I've bred a few different species of snakeheads.  Before anyone blasts me for it, let me explain.  I lived in Asia for 8 years.  During that time, I took on keeping and breeding them.  I'm back in the states now, and trying something new.  I've fished for sunfish since I was a kid, and know about them, but keeping and breeding them is something else.  I will be getting some brine shrimp to feed them when they hatch.  Do sunfish have an egg sac that they feed off of for a few days?  I would appreciate any pointers.  Thanks and I look forward to comments as well as more pics to come in the following week.

#8 fishsauce

fishsauce
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 12 July 2020 - 04:00 PM

The weather has been over 100 the last couple days. Aquarium is in my garage, and water is 86 in the afternoon, and 77-78 at night. The eggs have little tails after 24 hours only. Female is fanning them.

https://youtu.be/3qnesMiVJtY
https://youtu.be/ReYy-PkZfwE

#9 fishsauce

fishsauce
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 12 July 2020 - 04:00 PM

Here's a pic.

Attached Files

#10 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 12 July 2020 - 06:27 PM

Your Pseed female looks like it may have green sunfish in it's heritage. I don't see a lot of Pseeds though.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#11 fishsauce

fishsauce
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 12 July 2020 - 07:20 PM

Your Pseed female looks like it may have green sunfish in it's heritage. I don't see a lot of Pseeds though.

I was wondering about that also. It's also quite large for being a pseed.

#12 fishsauce

fishsauce
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 12 July 2020 - 08:05 PM

A little off topic. This was my time overseas. That was my fish featured in AquaPets magazine. My name is there also. These were only some of the snakeheads I kept and bred. The smaller species are nowhere close to the monsters that media made them out to be. They're beautiful, and recognize their owner. I miss these guys alot. Now, back to the topic.

Attached Files

#13 JasonL

JasonL
  • NANFA Member
  • Kentucky

Posted 13 July 2020 - 08:21 AM

I think that is a hybrid pictured.  Makes me wonder if that’s actually the male taking care of the nest.  At least with greengills, most of them are males.  Very interesting either way.

#14 fishsauce

fishsauce
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 13 July 2020 - 08:25 AM

I think that is a hybrid pictured.  Makes me wonder if that’s actually the male taking care of the nest.  At least with greengills, most of them are males.  Very interesting either way.

I'm convinced it's a hybrid now. I've been thinking that since the color, shape, and even mouth is different. It should be a pumpkinseed/green hybrid. There's no bluegill in it.
As for the sex, it's 100% female. The male is much smaller, and skinnier. The hybrid female had a huge, bloated stomach prior. Her stomach has now shrunk.

#15 fishsauce

fishsauce
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 13 July 2020 - 08:29 AM

male pumpkinseed

Attached Files

#16 fishsauce

fishsauce
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 13 July 2020 - 08:34 AM

Here are blurry pics of the hybrid female prior to breeding. I couldn't get her to hold still.

Attached Files

#17 fishsauce

fishsauce
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 13 July 2020 - 08:53 AM

Updated pics of fry this morning.

Attached Files

#18 fishsauce

fishsauce
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 13 July 2020 - 08:55 AM

Here's a video. Btw, does anyone know how to properly load a YouTube video to this post? Please let me know, so it doesn't look like a link.

https://youtu.be/BXvok_j-yug

#19 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 13 July 2020 - 09:28 AM

Her is a he. Male manages nest.

Find ways for people not already interested in natives to value them.

#20 fishsauce

fishsauce
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 13 July 2020 - 10:29 AM

Her is a he. Male manages nest.

I'm 100% sure that's the female. She was bloated prior to breeding, ready to explode. After breeding, she had to recuperate for a day. The male was on guard the first day, the he got kicked out. Her stomach is now back to normal.

I'm aware that males guard the nest, and take care of it. That's why I posted it and found it odd. If you look at the above pics of male and female, you can see. The male was also the one that dug the nest. He was digging the nest for 3 weeks before getting the female to spawn. I watched the entire time. He used his tail, and dug a nest. He kept nipping at the female to breed. He had a normal stomach with no bloat of any sort. He also colored up like a normal sunfish prior to breeding. It was normal breeding behavior up until the day after breeding.

Like I said, I've bred fish before, just not sunfish. I've bred a few different species already. I know a female full of eggs when I see one. Also, I distinguish the sex by their behavior as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users