Photo

Pumpkinseed breeding

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 fishsauce

fishsauce
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 13 July 2020 - 10:32 AM

Also, the female was the one that tilted her body 45 degrees to let her eggs out. It's the first video I posted. She's much bigger than the male, and there's no mistaking it when you watch the video.

#22 fishsauce

fishsauce
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 13 July 2020 - 10:34 AM

On my second and third video, you can clearly see the male guarding the unhatched eggs also.

#23 JasonL

JasonL
  • NANFA Member
  • Kentucky

Posted 13 July 2020 - 10:45 AM

So apparently you have a transgender Lepomis hybrid sp.  Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

#24 fishsauce

fishsauce
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 13 July 2020 - 11:49 AM

So apparently you have a transgender Lepomis hybrid sp.  Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Lol

#25 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 13 July 2020 - 11:54 AM

I did not see female tending brood.

Find ways for people not already interested in natives to value them.

#26 fishsauce

fishsauce
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 13 July 2020 - 11:54 AM

Full tank shot. 40 gallon breeder tank planted with anubias, anacharis, java ferns, java moss. I did have some hair grass in there, but the fish keep pulling them out. There's also a bit of duck weed that hasn't taken off yet.

Also pictured is my brine shrimp hatchery.

Attached Files

#27 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 13 July 2020 - 12:08 PM

This is interesting.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#28 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 13 July 2020 - 12:11 PM

I wish we could ask, but what pronoun should we use?

#29 fishsauce

fishsauce
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 13 July 2020 - 12:40 PM

Animals and things are referred to as "it." That's sounds appropriate.

#30 JasonL

JasonL
  • NANFA Member
  • Kentucky

Posted 13 July 2020 - 01:11 PM

Most likely that is a “she” that would prefer the “he” designation.  

In all seriousness, I wonder if hybrids are more likely to switch roles like this.  This female fish clearly has some male cyanellus in it, perhaps it has part of the male parenting genes as well.

#31 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 13 July 2020 - 01:28 PM

Most likely that is a “she” that would prefer the “he” designation.  

In all seriousness, I wonder if hybrids are more likely to switch roles like this.  This female fish clearly has some male cyanellus in it, perhaps it has part of the male parenting genes as well.

Exactly my thoughts. Have these hybrids sold to be 90 percent male actually been looked at close enough?

#32 fishsauce

fishsauce
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 13 July 2020 - 04:24 PM

Exactly my thoughts. Have these hybrids sold to be 90 percent male actually been looked at close enough?

I doubt much research has been done on it. It's like that with most fish, barely studied scientifically.

#33 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 13 July 2020 - 08:30 PM

I have made the hybrid, among others. Sex ratio skewed hard towards males. I could not find any fertile females even with a couple hundred to sort through..

#34 fishsauce

fishsauce
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 14 July 2020 - 08:31 AM

Fry have developed eyes.

https://youtu.be/rcEyfCwv1sg

Attached Files

#35 fishsauce

fishsauce
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 14 July 2020 - 08:53 AM

Here is the female, "cleaning" her fry and gathering them into one spot. I've seen the same thing done with channa fry also.

Attached Files

#36 fishsauce

fishsauce
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 16 July 2020 - 06:55 PM

So, today's update.  I made a fatal mistake.  The female that I thought was brooding, was not.  She was actually eating the eggs and fry.  This morning, I saw a few of them swimming, not the few hundred that were there before.  I thought about it, and realized what had happened. But, it was too late.  I should have known.  The female is much bigger than the male, and kicked him out of the nest.  

I'm going to try and fatten up the female again.  Hopefully it's not too late in the season to breed.  The next time around, I'm going to remove her after breeding.  Wish me luck, and I'll keep you guys posted.  

#37 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 16 July 2020 - 09:48 PM

Here is the female, "cleaning" her fry and gathering them into one spot. I've seen the same thing done with channa fry also.

I have yet to see a centrarchid move its brood by mouth. They do appear to keep prolarvae in proper place by attracting them through fanning. Current or pheromone or both involved. When not metamorphosed and still in endogenous nutrition, I call them prolarvae. They are larvae at exodus and feeding. Fry stage when metamorphosis complete.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users