Photo

Mummichog (Fundulus heteroclitus)

2 replies to this topic

#1 lilyea

lilyea
  • NANFA Member
  • Peace River Watershed, Central Florida, USA

Posted 17 August 2021 - 09:37 PM

I have a 50g tank with a group of mummichogs that were collected in SC this past winter.  They were collected in full saltwater and I have continued to maintain them at the same salinity.  Earlier this summer I noticed that they were making nests in the substrate and appeared to be laying eggs.  Not able to determine a way to effective gather the eggs from the substrate, I finally added a couple of spawning mops a few weeks ago and have started collecting eggs.  The first time was 3 eggs, and then a few days later it was 8 eggs, and then two days later I found another 7 eggs.  The eggs for the Fundulus species that I have bred so far have always been about 2mm in diameter (F. Grandis eggs were larger).  The eggs for the mummichogs are noticeably smaller (no more than 1.5mm and maybe less based on visual estimate).  At least two of the first three eggs are clearly developing so we'll see what happens.

Does anyone have experience with breeding these fish?  Is there anything specific about them that would be helpful to know?

#2 lilyea

lilyea
  • NANFA Member
  • Peace River Watershed, Central Florida, USA

Posted 18 August 2021 - 08:47 PM

The first egg hatched today so we'll see how this goes!

#3 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 19 August 2021 - 06:50 AM

Very cool!

Kevin Wilson

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users