Photo

Salt Collecting in South Carolina?

16 replies to this topic

#1 MattMudCrab

MattMudCrab
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ky

Posted 24 April 2022 - 09:24 AM

My family is wanting to go to Hilton head island this summer. I am trying to find info on collecting regulations and experiences and Im coming up with little. I know a few things for sureyou cant collect live sand dollars. A dip net is not listed as an approved device for taking. They only refer to minnow traps for freshwater. They dont discuss taking live bait for saltwater. It seems nongame fish cant be caught at all. Hilton head specifically does say not to take live organisms from the beach. Does that only apply to the actual beach? I dont want to bring a bunch of collecting stuff for nothing but I dont want to miss opportunities if I can. There used to be sites online to help you navigate this stuff but they seem to have vanished.

#2 El Todd

El Todd
  • NANFA Member
  • Silver Spring Md

Posted 24 April 2022 - 11:28 AM

From a quick glance at the DNR site it seems as if taking your gear would be worth it - but keep in mind that I do not live in South Carolina and am not a lawyer, Park official, Game officer etc.. I also failed high school honors Trigonometry.  

They have some terms for nets, like 'hand held sein', 'skimbow net', and 'drop net' that I am not familiar with - it seems as if every state has slightly different net terminology.

These are the general Saltwater Regulations for the state:

https://www.eregulat...ral-information

These are the general Freshwater Regulations for the state:

https://www.eregulat...ing-regulations

These are the Nongame Freshwater Regulations and Approved Methods for Nongame Fish for the state:

https://www.eregulat...methods-devices

https://www.eregulat...its-by-location

South Carolina also recommends the use of this app(I have never heard of this app before, let alone used it):

https://fishrulesapp.com/

#3 MattMudCrab

MattMudCrab
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ky

Posted 24 April 2022 - 09:36 PM

We now are specifically going to Lady island (Beaufort) SC. So hopefully the rules there are more relaxed than Hilton head.

#4 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 26 April 2022 - 08:36 AM

In the link above for the SW regs, I don't see anything that prevents you from collecting fish (non-game finfish) using a dip net or seines like the ones we used.  They seem concerned about gamefish, shad and herring.  All along the SC beaches, they sell small hand dip nets by the thousands every summer at every beach store.  If you're using a larger dipnet like the "Perfect Dipnet", I don't see anything in the regs that tout them as being illegal.  I would say that the two most important things that you need to do is buy a SW fishing license, and make sure not to keep any gamefish caught with a net of any size, and don't keep any protected species.  It seems that the non-game fish regs apply to catching and selling, and if you're just keeping them for personal use, I don't see that as the same thing.

As for the artificial reefs section, as long as you aren't collecting on those specific reefs, I'd say you're OK.  My guess is that they're offshore a bit and you'd either need to dive or snorkel, but, I'm not familiar with their locations.  There probably is a map on-line somewhere that identifies them.  

Hilton Head:  It’s illegal to remove, harm or harass any live beach fauna (sea turtles, sand dollars, conchs, starfish, etc.) You could get fined $500.  I'm not sure that applies to fishing, and what we do is a form of fishing.  But, to be safe, maybe better to limit collecting in the Sound.  In the Hilton Head Laws section, they define the beach locations basically as the Atlantic coast starting from Fish Haul Creek South around to Braddock Cove.  They don't mention anything about wildlife in the sound, but probably wise to use your judgement.  

Here's a link to the Hilton Head Island code:  https://library.muni...EWAREARAR_CH1BE

I can't find any info on-line showing any restrictions beyond the state SW regs specific to Lady Island.  It appears that area is not along the ocean, so I don't think that the "beach fauna" applies there.  Still, you might want to stop into a bait shop and ask if they know anything.  

Oh, I'd also be careful at State Parks, not so much for fish, but rather with regard to invertebrates.

I'm not a lawyer though either.

May I ask what species you hope to collect and keep?

Kevin Wilson

#5 MattMudCrab

MattMudCrab
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ky

Posted 26 April 2022 - 08:58 AM

It looks like I will have access to the creek that flows between Lady Island in Beaufort. Im hoping to find some of the killi fish of the area. Not sure what kind of salinity that area will have. I went to years ago to the Chesapeake Bay area and brought back a blenny a Gobi and some skillet fish. Im also interested to see what kind of invertebrates I might find.

#6 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 27 April 2022 - 07:56 AM

Sounds like a fun trip.  I think it should be pretty salty there, and you should find a variety of species in the area.  Maybe you'll find more blennies.  There are crested blennies, striped blennies, feather blennies, freckled blennies, and maybe seaweed blennies.  There's apparently a whole bunch of goby and sleeper species.   Skilletfish are there too.  Also, looks like mollies and several killies and sheepshead minnows too.  I'd bet you'd find some pretty good variety.  I'm looking forward to your report and some pics of what you keep (when you get them in your tank)!  Good luck!

Kevin Wilson

#7 Dustin

Dustin
  • Forum Staff

Posted 27 April 2022 - 08:02 AM

Mummichogs and striped killifish are abundant in that area.  If you find some brackish creeks on the island, they will also have sailfin molly, sheepshead minnow, marsh killifish, and, potentially, rainwater killifish.  The most likely goby candidates are naked and freshwater.  I agree with what Kevin said above.  You need a saltwater fishing license and you are allowed to use dipnets.  I have been doing it for 20+ years with no issues.

I have never collected on Lady Island but I have extensively on Hilton Head.  I suspect the habitats will be similar.

Dustin Smith
At the convergence of the Broad, Saluda and Congaree
Lexington, SC

#8 MattMudCrab

MattMudCrab
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ky

Posted 27 April 2022 - 07:17 PM

Id love to find rainwater killies.

#9 MattMudCrab

MattMudCrab
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ky

Posted 27 April 2022 - 07:19 PM

Least livebearers would be an awesome treat. Or would they be in the fresher areas? As well as far sleepers.

#10 MattMudCrab

MattMudCrab
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ky

Posted 28 April 2022 - 02:48 PM

So it appears you can fish at the state parks, like hunter island. Im assuming you can catch bait there as well

#11 El Todd

El Todd
  • NANFA Member
  • Silver Spring Md

Posted 28 April 2022 - 04:32 PM

So it appears you can fish at the state parks, like hunter island. Im assuming you can catch bait there as well

It looks like they have a lot more restrictions in State parks for bait fish.

#12 MattMudCrab

MattMudCrab
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ky

Posted 29 April 2022 - 05:27 AM

It looks like if all else fails I can buy mud minnows (I assume mummichogs) at a bait shop.

#13 UncleWillie

UncleWillie
  • NANFA Member
  • Georgia

Posted 11 May 2022 - 07:45 AM

Just from my experience, a lot of the bait shops along the SC coast that sell "mud minnows" for bait are striped killifish (Fundulus majalis). But that is generally from Edisto up to Myrtle Beach.  I'm not sure what will be sold as mudminnows south towards Savannah.  Although distribution is patchy, I've found some rainwater killifish, bluefin killifish, and sheepshead minnows in lot of detention ponds, ditches, or other excavated areas around developments and neighborhoods in those coastal areas.  I can't speak specifically to Hilton Head / Lady Island.

Willie P

#14 MattMudCrab

MattMudCrab
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ky

Posted 16 July 2022 - 11:31 AM

Well I had a fun time collecting in SC. In hunting island state park with license in hand I collected striped killifish around the title pool. Very nice fish that eagerly take flake food the first time you feed them. I also found a flock of gulls swarming the outer edge of a rock pile as tide was going out. There were small (1.5-3in) feather blennies everywhere in the waves. Im talking hundreds. They were trying there best to avoid the gulls. I collected 4 and later discovered a fifth one that I assume was in a shell.

#15 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 20 July 2022 - 07:22 AM

That's awesome Matt, congratulations!

Kevin Wilson

#16 MattMudCrab

MattMudCrab
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ky

Posted 21 July 2022 - 09:32 AM

I think now that the Blinnies are crested blends. They have finally lost their shyness and Ive been able to see their cirri better for a more positive ID. I also was able to collect several flat clawed hermit crabs. Some mud snails and oyster drill snails. Although the oyster drill snails now that I positively identified May prove to be a challenge to feed. And I discovered a baby stone crab the size of a quarter That had stowed away in a large Welk shell. A tip for you guys that like to collect if a hermit crab appropriate shell does not contain a hermit crab theres probably a good chance that something else has taken residence inside of the shell.

#17 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 21 July 2022 - 03:07 PM

i was wondering if some of them might turn out to be crested blennies.  Still, very cool.  I've never kept them.  I bet they're cool.

I've kept feather and striped blennies, and a molly miller.  All of them are fun.

Kevin Wilson

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users