Hybrid questions

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2007 - 08:32 PM

I have two questions.

1) Are tiger muskies sterile or can they reproduce?

2) Can grass and redfin pickerel interbreed?

#2 Guest_catfish_hunter_*

Guest_catfish_hunter_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2007 - 08:50 PM

1) Yes, a few very big female tiger muskies have fertile eggs, but usually the eggs don't hatch and die so the "mutting up" of other Esox is unlikely.

2) Yes, they are subspecies of the same species and often interbreed were their ranges overlap.

#3 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2007 - 09:07 PM

Can grass and redfin pickerel interbreed?

Yes, they are subspecies of the same species and often interbreed were their ranges overlap.

Which, as I understand it, is in the Gulf coast area. Further north, their ranges are separated by the Appalacians (grass pickerel to the west, redfin to the east).

#4 Guest_catfish_hunter_*

Guest_catfish_hunter_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2007 - 01:01 AM

Which, as I understand it, is in the Gulf coast area. Further north, their ranges are separated by the Appalacians (grass pickerel to the west, redfin to the east).

Yes, exactly. Also, about the tiger muskies, in places were the two parent species exsist, they try and 'false spawn' with their pure-blooded parent species. The males are always sterile and highly aggressive (Incredibly like a uncastrated male mule, it will be mad all the time that it can't breed and will be extra crazy and try to breed with anything that moves or try and kill it :shock: :mrgreen: ) So only the females are fertile and that is 1 in 100 chances . Also, about mules: The almost exact same ratios are for female mules giving birth to foals sired by one of their parent species, but almost always the result is genetically proved to be a pure horse or donkey depending on the father of the foal. So maybe, tiger muskies eggs hatch into either pure muskies or pure pikes, depending on the father. Just a guess. We know little about these hybrids as of now.

#5 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2007 - 04:05 PM

.Also, about mules: The almost exact same ratios are for female mules giving birth to foals sired by one of their parent species, but almost always the result is genetically proved to be a pure horse or donkey depending on the father of the foal. So maybe, tiger muskies eggs hatch into either pure muskies or pure pikes, depending on the father. Just a guess.

This does not make any sense to me. A half-breed animal is going to produce an ovum that is genetically only one of the things it is made of? A mule will produce an ovum that is pure horse or pure donkey? I'm having a hard time believing that one, sorry. I'd have a much easier time believing she'll produce an ovum that is close to half horse and half donkey. If I'm nissing something here... please let me know. Does it have something to do with chromosomes?

#6 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2007 - 04:48 PM

In certain animals, different genes can be given to offspring depending on which parent species it breeds with. For instance, the European edible frog is a hybrid of two frogs, and if it breeds with one parent species, to keep the hybrid species going, it gives the gene of the other species to create more hybrid frogs.

#7 Guest_catfish_hunter_*

Guest_catfish_hunter_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2007 - 07:29 PM

You see, a female mule can carry a artifically added foal of another equine species, and that's any mule that can carry a foal and care for it. The ones that have bred with one of the parent species, the mule inherits the maternal genes of its horse side, and thus produces a pure horse from this mating. Hinnies are the exact opposite: they inherit the maternal genes of a donkey and produce a pure donkey. One hinny, however, had a foal in China by a donkey sire, the foal looks like a strange mixture and was called Dragon Foal. Google 'fertile mules' and you'll find all sorts of stuff about this stuff.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users