green sunfish question

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2007 - 04:47 PM

I have a picture or a 3-4" green caught on a lake near here

I will later post a picture on my current largest green sunfish (both spots are about 15 minutes away from each other). I know that they come from different areas but it seems that the pictured one is solid green/blue and has blue lines by it's cheek, it's also heavier bodied.

The one's in my tank have dark vertical stripes and have more splotchy blue on their cheek.

Different subspecies?
totally different species?
confused :(

#2 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2007 - 04:57 PM

Hard to say without pics. You may just be comparing the coloration of a freshly caught fish to one that's been in captivity.

#3 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2007 - 05:09 PM

Any tips on taking good indoor pics without a photo tank? The fish tends to stay in the back of aquarium unless it's feeding tme. the two smaller ones look like the one in the picture. I've caught all the one's in my aquarium from the same pond and out of the first three I had two had vertical bars and died. Now I have one of those orriginals and two more. THe largest of the 3 now has vertical stripes the others look more like the one in the picture.

#4 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2007 - 05:17 PM

Sounds like the largest of the 3 is going to die, what with the vertical stripes and all.

#5 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2007 - 05:31 PM

Sounds like the largest of the 3 is going to die, what with the vertical stripes and all.

I actually figured thatwhen I realized he was different :( . Although the other two died from beaing beaten to death and there's only one fish to pick on 3 instead of one picking on two. Right now I'm thinking it may have to do with the sex of the fish. I wonder what a pumpkinseedxgreensunfish would look like.

#6 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2007 - 06:07 PM

Trying to ID fish based on color is not usually a good idea because of the high amount of variation between populations and the fact that fish can change color with relative ease. There is also a high rate of variations between life stages. Juviniles, males and females, spawning colors and everything inbetween. Post pictures anyway, though you probably have two greens there is a chance one may be a hybrid or something.

#7 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2007 - 06:16 PM

I have a strong doubt the larger striped one is a hybrid. He looks nothing like any hybrid gxanything I have seen. He's the most stereotypical green "bass-like" shape of the bunch.

p.s. I tried taking pictures... none turned out, will try again tomarow.

#8 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2007 - 06:35 PM

I have a picture or a 3-4" green caught on a lake near here

I will later post a picture on my current largest green sunfish (both spots are about 15 minutes away from each other). I know that they come from different areas but it seems that the pictured one is solid green/blue and has blue lines by it's cheek, it's also heavier bodied.

The one's in my tank have dark vertical stripes and have more splotchy blue on their cheek.

Different subspecies?
totally different species?
confused :(

The variation you mention, especially the dark vertical bars is frequently seen in populations of green sunfish. I do not know its relevance to the green sunfish but I will say that it is not indicative of hybridization, sex, age or water quality. Greens are pretty darn variable even within a pond. Variation maybe as in some snakes (garter) where more than one color morph exists and variation maintained by selection pressures. Could be the result of parasites or.......

#9 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2007 - 06:46 PM

well These are the only two color schemes I have seen around here and I have caught MANY of this fish the past few years. I'll just look at is as I have both dominant colorations of this fish in my aquarium. No more worrying about it.

on the same note:
Has anyone seen any other patterns on a green sunfish then blue/green speckled and the other withg dark bars.

#10 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2007 - 07:15 PM

Sometimes; particularly in time of stress, I can see faint vertical bars on my green. Most of the time they aren't there but they can fade in and out rather quickly. This is an example of what I was trying to point out before, the wide range of color variations not only in a species but also in an individual fish.

#11 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2007 - 07:24 PM

Sometimes; particularly in time of stress, I can see faint vertical bars on my green. Most of the time they aren't there but they can fade in and out rather quickly. This is an example of what I was trying to point out before, the wide range of color variations not only in a species but also in an individual fish.

I think all lepomis species have these vertical bars. In some species they are much more apparent, in others, hardy noticeable. They can be boldly displayed at times, depending on the fish's mood.

#12 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2007 - 09:02 AM

I think all lepomis species have these vertical bars. In some species they are much more apparent, in others, hardy noticeable. They can be boldly displayed at times, depending on the fish's mood.

In the context of reproduction I call it "nuptial barring". Bull (nesting) male bluegill, central longear, pumpkinseed and redspotted take on coloration when dancing and /or rim circling for ladies. Females of central longear, green and redspotted put it on while while actually extruding gametes.

#13 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2007 - 10:53 AM

I have seen greens from the same lake on the same day varying from very light, almost yellow, to very dark, almost black. It seems like the smaller ones (maybe 3" TL) tended to be darker, while the breeding-sized individuals tended towards lighter coloration.

#14 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2007 - 11:17 AM

I have seen greens from the same lake on the same day varying from very light, almost yellow, to very dark, almost black. It seems like the smaller ones (maybe 3" TL) tended to be darker, while the breeding-sized individuals tended towards lighter coloration.

A lot of centrarchids blanch when ticked off. Bigger fish seem to be in perpetual state of being ticked off. Largemouth color change pretty darn cool. They drop the lateral stripe when ticked. Smaller smallmouth and spotted bass even get parr marks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users