Largemouth Bass hybrids

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2007 - 10:40 PM

I recently was asked if largemouth bass could hybridize with other species of sunfish. I said I was pretty sure they could not except of course for the other black basses. I just read however in doing some research that LMB can cross with black crappie, bluegill, warmouth and green sunfish. Does anyone have any information to shed on this topic? Is there any truth to these possable crosses.

#2 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2007 - 05:07 AM

I recently was asked if largemouth bass could hybridize with other species of sunfish. I said I was pretty sure they could not except of course for the other black basses. I just read however in doing some research that LMB can cross with black crappie, bluegill, warmouth and green sunfish. Does anyone have any information to shed on this topic? Is there any truth to these possable crosses.

I have same paper concerning intergenus hybrids within centrarchidae. Also crappie by sunfishes. I have tried to repeat several times but had very limited success. GOt more gynogenic animals than hybrids. I don't think hybrids reported in paper or those I had survive were typical diploid hybrids. Rare survivors favored maternal parent more than I would expect. ALLOTRIPLOIDS? I remember a professor mentioning that largemouth bass and bluegill hybridize naturally
in a lake in Hawaii (I comment nothing could be natural about that if correct).

#3 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2007 - 06:34 PM

I remember a professor mentioning that largemouth bass and bluegill hybridize naturally
in a lake in Hawaii (I comment nothing could be natural about that if correct).

You're a man after my own heart!

#4 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2007 - 03:30 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing a green sunfish/southern strain largemouth

huge green sunfish :o

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users