Is there anyway to make sure that fish other than the warmouth eat?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fishtanker_*

Guest_fishtanker_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2007 - 07:20 PM

Let me start by listing my inhabitants,

1)Bluegill
2)Warmouth
3)Redbreast
4)Pumpkin Seed
5)Green Bass (pretty sure)
6)yellow perch
7)American Eel

The warmouth and bluegill are so aggressive that nothing ever gets to the bottom for the perch and the eel. Is this just a bad mix in the tank? I would like to get a crappie and a bullhead eventually too. I know that crappies can be timid, would this be a bad idea? Thanks again for all of your help.

#2 Guest_vasiliy_*

Guest_vasiliy_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2007 - 10:44 PM

What size is your aquarium?

#3 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2007 - 11:54 AM

My yellow perch does not care about the sunfish. When it's hungry at feeding time, it comes right to the top and eats voraciously. It seems strange to me if your yellow perch is not eating. How long has it been in the tank?

#4 Guest_fishtanker_*

Guest_fishtanker_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2007 - 08:13 PM

I have only had the perch for 2 weeks today, the tank is a 75, looking at a 180 though. I went from a 55, to a 75, now looking to upgrade again already. Will have to see if I can get permission for the 180 from the fiance.

Thanks,

Rick

#5 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2007 - 01:07 AM

I have only had the perch for 2 weeks today...

You haven't had it for very long. A lot of fish don't start eating in a tank right away. Give it a couple more weeks before being concerned. If all goes well, when it gets hungry enough, it will start to compete with the sunfish for food. You'll never have a problem again after that.

#6 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:40 PM

I see no problem with your mix. Perch will compete with lepomis, and usually dominate at feeding time. Have no Idea about the eel. Is a green bass a largemouth?

#7 Guest_fishtanker_*

Guest_fishtanker_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:54 PM

I see no problem with your mix. Perch will compete with lepomis, and usually dominate at feeding time. Have no Idea about the eel. Is a green bass a largemouth?

Sorry, that was supposed to be green sunfish, I just was thinking about how everyone says it is the most lmb-like. I think the warmouth are prett close to large mouth. Do you still have the bullhead around?

Thanks,
Rick

#8 Guest_joia2181_*

Guest_joia2181_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:54 PM

I like the mix. Great tank to watch evolve! The eels are cool to watch when they're out. If there still small, "elvers" are known to be able to climb, wiggle, and squeeze through incredbly small spaces. It got sick of finding them everywear but in the tank. Inside filters, on the floor, everywhere but the tank. They killed off my mts snails too, but there great at digging around in the substrate. I ended up taking a a 30 gal, and cut a snug tight lexan top and drilled out the filter and air hoses. Had to use a screen to cover the filter intake. They kept squeezing by the sponge. Hope you post pics!

#9 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2007 - 06:26 PM

The warmouth and bluegill are so aggressive that nothing ever gets to the bottom for the perch and the eel. Is this just a bad mix in the tank? I would like to get a crappie and a bullhead eventually too. I know that crappies can be timid, would this be a bad idea? Thanks again for all of your help.

If food isn't getting to the eel you may have some issues down the road. I once had a bunch of small eels, 3 inchers roughly I think, with some Black Banded Sunfish. As soon as the lights went off they'd come up out of the gravel with their tails still in, looking like plants. They even swayed like they were in a current. If a sunny came too close they'd launch like a torpedo bite into the side twirl like a drill and come out with a nice bite size piece of flesh. Granted Blackbandeds are not aggressive. But its something you may want to watch for.

#10 Guest_crocus_*

Guest_crocus_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2007 - 06:42 PM

Akari makes sinking carnavore tablets that you could add at the other end of the tand while feeding the warmouth at the other.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users