Sores on mouth

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Histrix_*

Guest_Histrix_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2007 - 10:16 AM

I recently acquired an approximately 6" SL brown bullhead with strange open sores on each side of the mouth under the lower jaw. The sores are almost perfectly ovoid, identical in size, and are in exactly the same location on both sides.

Otherwise, the fish appears to be healthy and is eating, but the sores persist. Has anyone ever observed this before? I caught the fish while helping to drain some experimental ponds at a DNR research station. There were only supposed to be smallmouth bass in there, but somehow he found his way in :)

#2 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2007 - 10:38 AM

I'm no expert but I've seen yellow grub do just as you described. It seems the parasite can make little "lumps" when located near bones?

#3 Guest_Histrix_*

Guest_Histrix_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2007 - 04:15 PM

Could be. He does seem to have a lumpier mouth than the other black bullheads in the lab. Another weird thing about the sores is that occasionally one or the other will heal over with a thin layer of dark skin, but I'll come in the next morning and the wounds will be open again. I don't know what to make of it.

#4 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2007 - 04:18 PM

Hmm. That doesn't sound like yellow grub. I'll take back what I said.
Any chance you could take a photo?

#5 Guest_Histrix_*

Guest_Histrix_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2007 - 12:56 PM

Hmm. That doesn't sound like yellow grub. I'll take back what I said.
Any chance you could take a photo?

I'll try to persuade my significant other to let me borrow the camera. Will probably have them up by tomorrow.

#6 Guest_Histrix_*

Guest_Histrix_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2007 - 11:08 PM

OK, I finally got a picture of the brown bullhead with the mouth issues. Unfortunately, he has already been used in an experiment and is no longer with us. But I thought I'd post this anyway just to show you what I was talking about. The wounds finally healed over, but they left the black marks on either side of the mouth.

Attached Images

• BrownBullhead1.jpg

#7 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2007 - 10:45 PM

Um, would this be a culinary experiment? How did it work out??

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users