How Can I Catch A Small Crappie

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fishtanker_*

Guest_fishtanker_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2007 - 08:12 PM

I can catch some larger ones, too big for the tank, but I need a smaller one, in va you have to hook it. Any tips would be great.

Thanks,

Rick

#2 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2007 - 04:45 PM

What do you plan to do with it when it gets too big for your tank?

#3 Guest_fishtanker_*

Guest_fishtanker_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2007 - 01:39 PM

Move them to my dad's pond.

#4 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2007 - 01:54 PM

Is the pond fed by a river? If it isn't, then it's not as bad, but if it is then you shouldn't release it for several reasons. Even if the pond is enclosed, and has absolutely no contact with another body of water, it could still have a bad impact on the existing fish in the pond. Read this:

http://forum.nanfa.o...mp;hl=releasing

#5 Guest_MScooter_*

Guest_MScooter_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2007 - 02:20 PM

Do not release back into the wild - it is the wise way NANFA rolls. You have a 75 now and are getting a 150 right? That should be a fine growout plan for full captivity. Not an expert but those tanks should be plenty big.

What I do know is - once you find the crappie then use either a sanjuan worm or black ant in hook sizes 8 through 10 to catch 3 to 5 inch samples. Minnow traps baited with cut fish and sunk to the right depth will also yield what you want. (i fish a little)

The whites around here are voracious and grow large. Fishlvr's concern is well placed.

#6 Guest_fishtanker_*

Guest_fishtanker_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2007 - 07:17 PM

Pond is not fed by any stream, my ultimate goal is to build a large pond in my backyard with acrylic window so it is viewable from the side ( my screened in porch). It would be like one of those Koi ponds built with retaining walls, and pond liner except with a window to the side. I have been working on a filter system and trying to figure out if I could keep it warm or cool enough depending on the season. I was thinking a geotherm system but not sure if it is necessary. Something I have been kicking around for a few years. I figure if the reef keepers are building tanks out of plywood and acrylic I can figure this one out too.

#7 Guest_BassHead_*

Guest_BassHead_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2007 - 10:12 PM

Well since you want a METHOD of catching a smaller crappie instead of various reasons not to catch one.I would suggest using a cast Net and if you dont have one walmart will sell you one for about $8-25 in the sporting goods section, these are very effective on capturing the fish without leaving a hole in its lip hence forth making it a more attractive fish,This also reduces the amout of shock to the fish's nervous sytem and he will be able to preform his normal functions in his tank almost instantaneosly after capture.Futher more the net will alow you to span a great deal of fish,OF VARiOUS SIZES.

#8 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2007 - 10:18 PM

Well since you want a METHOD of catching a smaller crappie instead of various reasons not to catch one.I would suggest using a cast Net and if you dont have one walmart will sell you one for about $8-25 in the sporting goods section, these are very effective on capturing the fish without leaving a hole in its lip hence forth making it a more attractive fish,This also reduces the amout of shock to the fish's nervous sytem and he will be able to preform his normal functions in his tank almost instantaneosly after capture.Futher more the net will alow you to span a great deal of fish,OF VARiOUS SIZES.

This method is illegal in any state where crappie are considered gamefish. Almost all.

#9 Guest_arnoldi_*

Guest_arnoldi_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2007 - 07:04 AM

Size 28 - 32 flies on a flyrod.
If you don't have a flyrod, put a bobber about 2 or 3 feet from the size 28 - 32 fly on a regular rod and there ya go! All the teeny fish you want.

#10 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2007 - 12:48 PM

I agree with the fly rod approach.

I live in North Carolina and you could legally cast net them out of a private lake or pond here.

Not sure about VA.

#11 Guest_BassHead_*

Guest_BassHead_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2007 - 12:03 PM

This method is illegal in any state where crappie are considered gamefish. Almost all.

really becuase gamewardens didnt say anything to me ?I guess it just a matter of leniancy? :grin:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users