Tank Temps For Darters?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_emeraldbay_*

Guest_emeraldbay_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2007 - 04:01 PM

Greetings-

Finally decided to join the forum here. I've gotten the Native fish bug.

My question regards the temperature in an aquarium setting.....

For a Darter like the Rainbow or Greenside or other varieties, can they be happy enough in a tank that's (72-75F) year round?

What would the highest comfortable temp be?

I've found some great literature and field guides to native fish, and there's lots of info on water qualities, pH, hardness, etc.... but finding info on temps has been quite difficult. Would there be a good book or online source recommendation for more detailed native fish care info?

Thanks for any answers..... Full of Questions.....

lastly, to pique any interest....
A lot of interest I've had, with tropical fish, have been better ways of keeping a tank clean. Bigger tanks are easier, but some fish just seem to attract algae from out of thin air. My first intro with native fish was the American Flagfish. They are algae super vaccums. Better than mollies, loaches, algae eaters combined, and they do quite well in a tropical tank setting too. Love them...

Clams have proven to be somewhat good too for the substrate, although, it's looking like they're on the chopping block for even being able to keep legally, in this area anyway. I can understand, they're not native, but I do like them.

I recently came across some interest in Europe with attempting to use Freshwater sponges. I know nothing at all about sponges, but did come to learn there are two varieties living not too far away from me, in Montana of all places. Looks like the vast majority of sponges exist in the Eastern part of the US. Anyway, was wondering if any East-enders have ever experimented with sponges?
I'm interested in paying a visit to Montana to explore and see if they can even be found.

Huge bunny trail with the sponges, sorry, and again, any answers on tank temps for darters would be very helpful. Thank you~

#2 Guest_Forest Grump_*

Guest_Forest Grump_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2007 - 06:24 PM

I live in Big Bear about 1500 miles south and 7,000 up. We experience our warm days in the 80's to 90's and lows can get well below freezing. My tank temperature with several darter species including those you are looking at has gotten up to 85, today it is 83 and the darters are thriving. Everything is thriving. At night the tank goes down into the high 70's. I did get a heater for the winter because we have the heat shut off in this room and I set it for 68. The darters are swimming to the surface to compete with the top minnows etc. for even flake food. I would say for the mid 70 range they would be fine.

Give them some sun though, it's too dark up there.

#3 Guest_Sal_*

Guest_Sal_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2007 - 01:01 AM

I live in Big Bear about 1500 miles south and 7,000 up. We experience our warm days in the 80's to 90's and lows can get well below freezing. My tank temperature with several darter species including those you are looking at has gotten up to 85, today it is 83 and the darters are thriving. Everything is thriving. At night the tank goes down into the high 70's. I did get a heater for the winter because we have the heat shut off in this room and I set it for 68. The darters are swimming to the surface to compete with the top minnows etc. for even flake food. I would say for the mid 70 range they would be fine.

Give them some sun though, it's too dark up there.

You find you need a heater for the winter? I kept darters 10 yrs ago so its been awhile they were mud darters they were huge for mud darters had 6 in a 55 gallon long .
I remember the summer temps were mid 70s sometimes high 70s as tank was in my basement but come winter temps were low 60s ,high 50s and they did great all yr. Well they never bred though lived for few yrs so maybe I did something wrong.

#4 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2007 - 05:20 AM

emeraldbay,

Welcome to the forum! You can find tank temps and water parameters for some darters, including Rainbows, on my website, BTDarters.com. If you want water parameters for fish that I have listed, but have not posted parameters, just email me and I'll email you PDFs for any fish that you want. Again, welcome!

#5 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2007 - 07:32 PM

Darters in my outside tanks (when I had such) LOVED the winter temps. I never had a tank freeze over (after all I live in SOUTH Mississippi), but the fishes flourished.

#6 Guest_Sal_*

Guest_Sal_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2007 - 10:03 PM

emeraldbay,

Welcome to the forum! You can find tank temps and water parameters for some darters, including Rainbows, on my website, BTDarters.com. If you want water parameters for fish that I have listed, but have not posted parameters, just email me and I'll email you PDFs for any fish that you want. Again, welcome!

Great site I see you sell them. Fantastic as not many places sell darters I am going to go over it after this pres debate it looks great thanks

#7 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2007 - 03:34 AM

Great site I see you sell them. Fantastic as not many places sell darters I am going to go over it after this pres debate it looks great thanks

Sal,

Well, I did sell them and hope to be selling them again soon. The Department of Natural Resources (DNR) and Department of Agriculture, Trade, and Consumer Protection (DATCP) in my home state of Wisconsin has made it virtually impossible to continue to sell the fish. This is all due to the VHS fish virus that has been found in the state. If you'd like me to email you when I can sell again, please click here.

Brian

Brian J. Torreano - Owner
BTDarters
American Native Fish for
your aquarium...and more! (Hopefully again soon!)
Web: http://www.btdarters.com
Phone: (262) 268-7489

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users