Green Sunnies Temperment

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_catfish_hunter_*

Guest_catfish_hunter_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2007 - 02:18 AM

Firstly, of these two which has the "better" temperment: warmouth or green? I was wondering because I want one or both of these fish to be in my new setup. I'm not quite sure where I could get either, though. Most Lepomis sunfish in my area are denfinitly purebred pumpkinseeds, which are cool and very colorful, but I just really like that mini bass-like look of these two species :cool: . (Could any of you guys help me get these two species?) Anyway, just compare the temperments of your specimens of these two. Thanks! :D

#2 Guest_BassHead_*

Guest_BassHead_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2007 - 08:04 AM

I own a few greens myself they jave a medium agressive temperment and chase eachother from time to time.
By the way where do you live?

#3 Guest_BassHead_*

Guest_BassHead_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2007 - 08:13 AM

Sorry for the typo i meant "Have"

#4 Guest_arnoldi_*

Guest_arnoldi_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:35 AM

There is absolutely no doubt that green sunfish are far more aggressive than warmouth are. The only time I have ever knows warmouth to have problems is when they are with other warmouth (same sex, probably two males). Green sunfish are fairly aggressive but I have seen several that will kill all their tankmates. I have never seen one that didn't have some kind of aggro problem though.

The big question I would have for you is what size tank will you have and what other species will you want? That can make a difference sometimes.

#5 Guest_catfish_hunter_*

Guest_catfish_hunter_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2007 - 02:57 PM

I live in Northern Idaho. I vaguely remember a small lake in Wyoming near my relatives' place that had greens? and pumpkinseeds and hybrids (GASP! the 'H' word!) in it. I have no idea how pumpkinseeds became the most dominant sunfish around here or if it is just I'm not fishing the right spots. Living on the West coast also means I can't get any pickerels; only pike and tiger muskie, which just plainly sucks (I still like the bigger Esox, they just don't stay little and as managable in a tank or even a small pond for long). Are warmouth good with other species of sunnie and a few other fish as a single fish? My tank is a 600 gallon above ground metal pool, by the way.

#6 Guest_BassHead_*

Guest_BassHead_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2007 - 03:50 PM

The reason i ask your location is becuase i have been looking fo Pumpkin seeds all year.

#7 Guest_catfish_hunter_*

Guest_catfish_hunter_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2007 - 04:11 PM

The reason i ask your location is becuase i have been looking fo Pumpkin seeds all year.

Then come up here and get them :D . They are really pretty, like bright blues down to orangeish on the color spectrum.

#8 Guest_BassHead_*

Guest_BassHead_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2007 - 04:45 PM

Want to make a shipping arrangement>Im pretty sure i will be able to pay shipping and what not? :grin:

#9 Guest_arnoldi_*

Guest_arnoldi_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2007 - 07:38 PM

600 gallons? Well then, put anything you like in there.

#10 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2007 - 08:00 PM

I live in Northern Idaho. I vaguely remember a small lake in Wyoming near my relatives' place that had greens? and pumpkinseeds and hybrids (GASP! the 'H' word!) in it. I have no idea how pumpkinseeds became the most dominant sunfish around here or if it is just I'm not fishing the right spots. Living on the West coast also means I can't get any pickerels; only pike and tiger muskie, which just plainly sucks (I still like the bigger Esox, they just don't stay little and as managable in a tank or even a small pond for long). Are warmouth good with other species of sunnie and a few other fish as a single fish? My tank is a 600 gallon above ground metal pool, by the way.

Warmouth get along with just about anything that can't fit in its mouth or that can't fit him in its mouth. I like their bass-like characteristics as well, and they only get 10". They're also pretty good fighters when it comes to fishin'. :D The only problem I can think of is him not getting enough food with some of the more aggressive species, such as N. longears. I've got a 2" with 5 longears, and most of the longears are <1.5". They get the food before he even sees it, which slows his growth down a bit. I'll be moving him soon though, so he can catch up with my other warmouths and go into my mini-pond.

#11 Guest_catfish_hunter_*

Guest_catfish_hunter_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2007 - 02:45 AM

Want to make a shipping arrangement>Im pretty sure i will be able to pay shipping and what not?

We'll do one better: A TRADE ! You get me a fish I can't find around here (I assume you live somewhere to the East) and I'll give you 100 pumpkinseeds. It's not like it is going to put a dent in their population up here :D . If you can assurdedly give me a pickerel (Either species or subspecies) and a warmouth, I'll give you even more. How does one ship fish, any way? How much does it cost?

#12 Guest_BassHead_*

Guest_BassHead_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2007 - 10:57 AM

Actually i live down south(Florida) if there are any fish down here i will gladly get u a trade. I think fish can be shipped Via Fed EX priority mail or UPS .Some where around 12$? i will look further into this. Thanks Man :grin:

#13 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2007 - 12:25 PM

Sorry for the typo i meant "Have"

You don't need to post a follow-up like this. On your original post, click the "Edit" button (you will only see this on your posts, not others' posts), and the select either "Full Edit" or "Quick Edit". I usually use "Quick Edit". Make your correction, then click "Complete Edit". You can fix the original post, and nobody will ever know.

If you're going to correct your typos, what about "eachother"? ;-)

#14 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2007 - 03:09 PM

If you're going to correct your typos, what about "eachother"? ;-)

go aHead and fIx your capitalization too!

#15 Guest_ReeseUrchin_*

Guest_ReeseUrchin_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2007 - 04:24 PM

Actually i live down south(Florida) if there are any fish down here i will gladly get u a trade. I think fish can be shipped Via Fed EX priority mail or UPS .Some where around 12$? i will look further into this. Thanks Man :grin:

Hi BassHead et al,

I've been browsing through this forum for a bit, and I was wondering if you would be interested in a fish swap. I'm working on a Centrarchid research project, and am looking to get my hands on a bunch of live adult sunfish from the Florida area. I'm looking for 5 adults from most species down there, so if you can get your hands on any of them, I'd be happy to either reimburse your expenses and/or get you any fish you'd like from the Southern Ontario/Northeastern US region.

If you (or anyone else who stumbles by) is interested in helping me out, please drop me an email at brentowen at g mail do t c om.

Thanks!

Brent

PS: I'm posting a full list of what I'm looking for as a new topic.

#16 Guest_fishtanker_*

Guest_fishtanker_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2007 - 08:34 PM

Looks like this topic may have already been settled, but in my experience juvenille warmouths are much more aggressive than young greens, but as they mature the Greens will end up running the tank. They don't bother eachother much, but I would say that the young warmouth is more of a worthy competitor at feeding time than the older warmouths.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users