Rock Bass Breeding?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_johnpritzlaff_*

Guest_johnpritzlaff_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2007 - 09:32 PM

Hi, I have two 5 or 6 inch rock bass in a 233 gallon outdoor pond, along with three perch, an albino channel cat, and a crayfish. Today, I was feeding my fish some shrimp, and one of the rock bass oddly declined to eat. It was hanging out in the inverted clay pot with the hole in it that I have in there, the favorite spot of the two bass. I noticed that it seemed to be swimming around the upper inside of the pot, almost protectively, brushing the sides. I only saw it for a few seconds so my description could be way off. Anyways, I was wondering (hoping?) that this might be breeding-related. Is that likely? Has anybody had success breeding rock bass? The one "hiding" was a little larger than the other and somewhat darker. Is this just their natural camouflage color-shifting, or could this have to do with mating? The other bass ate enthusiastically. Also, I fear what is more likely is that the bass was sick, so let me know what you think. (Most likely, though, there's nothing to worry/get excited about and I'm making a big thing out of nothing. Right?)

John

#2 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2007 - 06:03 AM

Hi, I have two 5 or 6 inch rock bass in a 233 gallon outdoor pond, along with three perch, an albino channel cat, and a crayfish. Today, I was feeding my fish some shrimp, and one of the rock bass oddly declined to eat. It was hanging out in the inverted clay pot with the hole in it that I have in there, the favorite spot of the two bass. I noticed that it seemed to be swimming around the upper inside of the pot, almost protectively, brushing the sides. I only saw it for a few seconds so my description could be way off. Anyways, I was wondering (hoping?) that this might be breeding-related. Is that likely? Has anybody had success breeding rock bass? The one "hiding" was a little larger than the other and somewhat darker. Is this just their natural camouflage color-shifting, or could this have to do with mating? The other bass ate enthusiastically. Also, I fear what is more likely is that the bass was sick, so let me know what you think. (Most likely, though, there's nothing to worry/get excited about and I'm making a big thing out of nothing. Right?)

John

This late in year breeding is unlikely. Rockbass as with its relatives here in Missouri (Ozark bass and Shadow bass) tends to associate with cover (brushpiles, undercuts, rootwads and spaces under rocks). I personally have not observed custodial duties performed on such sites . The cover, especially that near good places to capture wandering eats is worth defending. My rockbass and Ozark bass darken when in an aggressive mood.

The rockbass clan spawns in nest like other sunfishes but is more inclined to construct such nest under an overhange such as in your situation with the clay pot. Siphon substrate under clay pot with turkey bastor. If young present they will be hard to miss since they will be quite large.

#3 Guest_johnpritzlaff_*

Guest_johnpritzlaff_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2007 - 11:05 PM

This late in year breeding is unlikely. Rockbass as with its relatives here in Missouri (Ozark bass and Shadow bass) tends to associate with cover (brushpiles, undercuts, rootwads and spaces under rocks). I personally have not observed custodial duties performed on such sites . The cover, especially that near good places to capture wandering eats is worth defending. My rockbass and Ozark bass darken when in an aggressive mood.

The rockbass clan spawns in nest like other sunfishes but is more inclined to construct such nest under an overhange such as in your situation with the clay pot. Siphon substrate under clay pot with turkey bastor. If young present they will be hard to miss since they will be quite large.

One problem with my pond is that it doesn't have substrate. It's a marble pond with a bare bottom. I've thought about putting gravel in, though. Maybe next year.

IF I'm lucky enough to get babies, how should I remove them/should I remove them? Would a turkey baster still work? Should I be worried about the perch or even the parents eating the babies?

#4 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2007 - 12:14 PM

One problem with my pond is that it doesn't have substrate. It's a marble pond with a bare bottom. I've thought about putting gravel in, though. Maybe next year.

IF I'm lucky enough to get babies, how should I remove them/should I remove them? Would a turkey baster still work? Should I be worried about the perch or even the parents eating the babies?

Everybody likes to eat baby rockbass. They are relatively large and easy to catch. Best to remove rockbass larvae to their own tank. Turkey bastor method may catch some but once pro-larvae start zipping around in nest, then delicate use of a fine mesh net could work. Also try a large diameter siphon where the upper end is plugged with thumb to keep air in until other end is placed into area with pro-larvae. Release thumb allowing air to be diplaced with water containing prolarvae. Replace thumb and move quickly but gently for transfer of catch to another volume of water.

#5 Guest_catfish_hunter_*

Guest_catfish_hunter_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2007 - 04:32 PM

Don't discount that channel catfish! In fact, he and the perch will eat the baby rock bass before they hatch, and indeed after they are swimming. That crayfish will if he can catch them or get the eggs. Perch are, like many fish, lovers of a good omlette.

#6 Guest_johnpritzlaff_*

Guest_johnpritzlaff_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2007 - 10:39 PM

Don't discount that channel catfish! In fact, he and the perch will eat the baby rock bass before they hatch, and indeed after they are swimming. That crayfish will if he can catch them or get the eggs. Perch are, like many fish, lovers of a good omlette.

Hmm, well maybe I'll get lucky, if not this year then maybe next.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users