Hoping For A Madtom...

3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_corvuscorax_*

Guest_corvuscorax_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2007 - 09:07 AM

Hi folks,

Sorry no pic yet.

I recently obtained a 2 inch catfish, pure brown body, but all barbels are solid black.
I looked through the books I have (not the best), and I checked planetcatfish.
Nothing really looked like the one I have.

Do ANY madtoms have all black barbels?
Or, as I highly suspect, do I have a juvy bullhead?

It was captured in a lake, but only 15 yards or so from a creek mouth after a massive overnight rain. I was hoping against hope that it got washed out of the crick.

#2 Guest_fuzzyletters_*

Guest_fuzzyletters_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2007 - 01:21 PM

That sounds like a fish I caught a month or so ago... it was a bullhead. Check the adipose fin (fused = madtom, unfused = bullhead) and the shape of the caudal fin... I think bullheads' are squarer. Mine had black barbels too, but I think I read on this forum that white or yellow barbels may just indicate yellow bullhead over brown, so I guess neither can tell for sure unless yellow bullheads aren't in your area. I hope my information is right :S

#3 Guest_cmj15_*

Guest_cmj15_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2007 - 09:08 PM

post a pic, that would help a lot

#4 Guest_chriscan_*

Guest_chriscan_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2007 - 09:08 PM

Hi folks,

Sorry no pic yet.

I recently obtained a 2 inch catfish, pure brown body, but all barbels are solid black.
I looked through the books I have (not the best), and I checked planetcatfish.
Nothing really looked like the one I have.

Do ANY madtoms have all black barbels?
Or, as I highly suspect, do I have a juvy bullhead?

It was captured in a lake, but only 15 yards or so from a creek mouth after a massive overnight rain. I was hoping against hope that it got washed out of the crick.

i have caught several similar critters and all turned out to be black bullheads....as a matter of fact they all had more of a grey/brown appearance w/black barbs as juvies(the only one out of black/brown/yellow varieties). other fella is right though, a pict would rule!...i have caught and raised every variety of bullhead and the only one that retains all black barbs is the black bullhead.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users