Stunted Lmb

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Zippy_*

Guest_Zippy_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2007 - 05:30 PM

I have a pond locally that has a large population of Large Mouth Bass that have stunted (most I catch are in the 4"-6" range). My question is If one of these was to be brought into an aquarium will it stay stunted or would it begin to grow again.

Thanks
Kevin

#2 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2007 - 05:48 PM

I have a pond locally that has a large population of Large Mouth Bass that have stunted (most I catch are in the 4"-6" range). My question is If one of these was to be brought into an aquarium will it stay stunted or would it begin to grow again.

Thanks
Kevin

Stunting is caused by poor environment, lack of food or the fish just don't live long enough to grow larger. If you bring a LMB from that pond and place it in a tank with a proper environment, steady and decent food supply and it survives to old age it will probably grow to a size you would expect from a LMB.

#3 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2007 - 05:54 PM

agreed, to an extent. Once a fish is older, stunted, and past it's fast growth stage, it's growth may never compensate. It will hiowever continue to grow. May not max out as large as it could, but it will get substantially larger.

#4 Guest_fishtanker_*

Guest_fishtanker_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2007 - 06:56 PM

I was reading an article about it one some states game and fisheries site, I believe Texas. Once a fish is stunted, it is stunted. They recommend from a pond management state to eat the stunted fish. The ones in my area that are stunted are more in the 15 inch range, but only weigh a pound or so. If the ones you are catching are that small I agree with the above and say that they will grow, but will max out, may end up like the ones I find, toothpick bass.

#5 Guest_Zippy_*

Guest_Zippy_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2007 - 07:33 PM

Thanks for the replies. I ahve fished that pond for the past 5-6 years and never pulled anything out of it that is larger than 8" or so. It is a great place for kids to have fun fishing though. I am starting to plan on a tank once I am in my new house. Looks like we have a bite on the house we are trying to sell. They are still playing with the bobber but it looks promising.

#6 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2007 - 07:53 PM

Thanks for the replies. I ahve fished that pond for the past 5-6 years and never pulled anything out of it that is larger than 8" or so. It is a great place for kids to have fun fishing though. I am starting to plan on a tank once I am in my new house. Looks like we have a bite on the house we are trying to sell. They are still playing with the bobber but it looks promising.

If you do decide to take a stunted LMB be warned that it might still grow, I don't know what size tank you intend on putting the fish in but be ready should the fish start growing again. It does happen.
I notice you're from the Catskills region, awsome place. I used to live near there myself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users