White Catfish

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2007 - 09:21 PM

I have a 2" white catfish. I thought he was a channel/blue catfish at first, but his tail isn't forked enough to be one of those(thank goodness). What size tank/pond will he need? I read somewhere that they only get 2' long, opposed to the 6' a channel or blue catfish can get.

#2 Guest_BullHeadsrdfish_*

Guest_BullHeadsrdfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2007 - 03:40 PM

I have a 2" white catfish. I thought he was a channel/blue catfish at first, but his tail isn't forked enough to be one of those(thank goodness). What size tank/pond will he need? I read somewhere that they only get 2' long, opposed to the 6' a channel or blue catfish can get.

I have never kept white catfish but what I have read says they get about 18-24'' so a tank with dimensions like 96/36/36/ or something close to that would be needed I think. JMO
Here are some links to some White Catfish Info.

http://www.outdooral.../catfish/white/

http://www.planetcat...?species_id=263

#3 Guest_joia2181_*

Guest_joia2181_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2007 - 01:04 PM

I don't know a what the smallest tank size could be but I've seen one slowly outgrowing a 75gal. There were also in with three 7-8" p.seeds and smaller golden shiners. They all looked uncomfortable actually. The guy had two 405 fuvals going to keep it clean.

#4 Guest_Mike_*

Guest_Mike_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2007 - 01:27 AM

As far as max size goes, the All Tackle World Record White Catfish was 22 lbs.

Mike

#5 Guest_Brian_*

Guest_Brian_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2007 - 08:41 AM

how did you get a white catfish? I would love to get one for my tank.

#6 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2007 - 08:51 AM

I caught three of them at West Point Lake on the GA/AL state line. The other two were 22", so I just brought home the two incher. Find somewhere where they are found and go out at night and look under rocks and such. Babies are easy to find.

#7 Guest_Elassoman_*

Guest_Elassoman_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2008 - 09:10 PM

Can I get an update on your white catfish? I just collected a 2 incher from north central Florida. I have heard that they are somewhat more sensitive than other bullheads. He is currently enjoying a 125 gallon with a 3 inch yellow bullhead and various mid-water fishes. Thanks for any tips.

#8 Guest_Mysteryman_*

Guest_Mysteryman_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2008 - 10:14 AM

Some 30 years ago, when I was just a kid, my aunt and her husband were having a problem with piglets. They had a farm and lots of pigs. The problem was that somebody was stealing them. So, for a few nights my cousins and I stayed up and tried to catch the thieves.
On the third night we heard a big "schlormp!" noise and some splashing and wound up one piggy short. We were mad that we missed the culprit, and couldn't figure out how he got past us.
You can probably see where this is going by now, eh?

About a week later, in the daytime, we finally got a big surprise when a big bulge appeared beside some wading piglets and a piggy started hollering. Yes, a huge catfish was trying to eat one. He missed that time, though, and my cousins, who were older than me, were able a few days later to corner and club the catfish with baseball bats. They got their picture in the paper for having caught the giant monster catfish, but with no mention of using ballbats. Anyway, it looked like a big bullhead sort of cat to me, but not a flathead and not a blue. I don't know. I didn't know much back then, being just a kid.
It was over 60 lbs, so I guess it wasn't a White if 22 is the record for them, but I thought it was a neat story to add to this thread anyway.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users