Snail Bullheads

2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2007 - 10:08 PM

Ok, at first I thought I had brown bullheads in my backyard. Then I looked a little deeper and found out they had to be yellows because they had white chin barbels. Now I find out snail bullheads live in my creek and they have white chin barbels too( at least the ones on google images do). How do I know which one I have?

#2 Guest_Mike_*

Guest_Mike_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2007 - 01:35 AM

Ok, at first I thought I had brown bullheads in my backyard. Then I looked a little deeper and found out they had to be yellows because they had white chin barbels. Now I find out snail bullheads live in my creek and they have white chin barbels too( at least the ones on google images do). How do I know which one I have?

Count the anal fin rays Snail Bullhead have 17-20 rays, and Yellow Bullhead have 24-27 rays.

Mike

#3 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2007 - 09:24 AM

Count the anal fin rays Snail Bullhead have 17-20 rays, and Yellow Bullhead have 24-27 rays.

Mike

Snails are also typically more silvery and black where I have found yellows to be more yellowy and brown. Snails and flats also have a large blotch at the base of the caudal fin. I have also noticed that they tend to prefer different habitats. Yellows tend to prefer more stagnant conditions where snails and flats prefer undercuts in flowing streams.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users