Unique Colors In Native Killifish And Livebearer

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2007 - 06:47 PM

Um I was just wondering if there are native killies and livebearers in aquarium are bred for unique colors. Example golden heterandria formosa. I know "Innes" gambusia, melanistic golden killifish and pied red rosy minnows existed but what others that bred for different color strains? Reason why I want to know because not lots of fish keepers would breed the native fishes so they are little mentioning expect you guys.

#2 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2007 - 06:58 PM

Um I was just wondering if there are native killies and livebearers in aquarium are bred for unique colors. Example golden heterandria formosa. I know "Innes" gambusia, melanistic golden killifish and pied red rosy minnows existed but what others that bred for different color strains? Reason why I want to know because not lots of fish keepers would breed the native fishes so they are little mentioning expect you guys.

If you mean just US natives, there are many many specifically bred varieties of sailfin Mollies ( Poecilia Latipinna ).
Most really prefer the Native strains and populations as they are... so not much breeding for fancy varieties has been done with US native Livebearers and Killies.

#3 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2007 - 07:08 PM

Yeah, wild-type swordtails of any of the various Xiphophorus species are killer compared to any of the degener.. er, hybridized commecial strains. They're bigger, more robust, and plain healthier, maybe without splashy colors. But let's face it, we're in the 1% fringe of aquarists who aren't interested in purely ornamental fish that can be replaced at [big box pet store] when they poop out and die after three weeks or whatever.

#4 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2007 - 07:19 PM

I meant are there "mutant" colors that appeared in U.S killifish and livebearers, because we let them breed in predator-free pond or home aquarium.

#5 Guest_haruspicator_*

Guest_haruspicator_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2007 - 08:37 PM

I meant are there "mutant" colors that appeared in U.S killifish and livebearers, because we let them breed in predator-free pond or home aquarium.

I've seen leucistic goodeids, but never pupfish or any other native killie in the wild. The springfish were almost white-yellow, really stood out! I've also seen some that could have been melanistic, but not sure, since they could have been just very dark normal individuals.

shawn

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users