Killifish & Pl*cos

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2007 - 06:46 PM

Can they live in the same tank if they're about the same size?

#2 Guest_seanmc_*

Guest_seanmc_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2007 - 09:11 PM

Can they live in the same tank if they're about the same size?

I had a 10G with 2 Bristlenose Plecos (1M/1F, about 3.5") and two A. gardneri killies. This is what happened:

Posted Image

They had been together for about two weeks. The damage occurred overnight (this is not a disease). I am convinced that the pleco gnawed on my killi (who died two days later).

This is the first, and only, time this has happened. I have BN plecos in a 30G with about 10 gardneri and have never had another problem.

Cheers - Sean

#3 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2007 - 01:24 PM

I have kept plecostomus with killifish without a problem but like Sean's fish proves there are always those individual plecos that prefer the taste of fish. IME this is less likely to happen if the pleco is well fed.

#4 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2007 - 04:43 PM

Once a Pleco get the taste for fish slime, he becomes an addict. You can expect more of this behavior in the future.

#5 Guest_seanmc_*

Guest_seanmc_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2007 - 09:08 PM

I should also note that this was a 10G tank that the 2 BN plecos were breeding in (although there were no fry present when this happened), and that the 2 killies were only supposed to be there temporarily (I bought them at an auction for a friend who hadn't setup his tank yet).

I think the plecos were being fed well, as I was trying to induce them to spawn again, although they haven't done it since this happened, which was several months ago. They had spawned for me three times previously, and I had raised about 60 fry.

- Sean

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users