Yellow Perch stories

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2007 - 04:37 PM

You may be right Irate. The tank has a bunch of stripers and BIG largemouths in it. The perch is of iffy size. They are going to do a in-tank dive release to hide him under some cover to at least give him a chance to figure out his surroundings. Other option would be releasing it from the top where they know food comes from. There are smaller fish in the tank so I think he'll do ok.

#22 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2007 - 07:31 AM

I used to catch yellow perch all the time when I lived in Ontario Canada. Now I live near Chattanooga TN and I was out fishing the other day and the person I was fishing with caught one that was maybe in the nine inch range. I did not know we had them here. It was caught in Wolftever Creek. the larger area of wolftever where it is close to chickamagua lake. Any thought from anyone near this area. That is the one and only yellow perch I have seen down here and I have been fishing here since 1989.

#23 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2007 - 03:51 PM

I used to catch yellow perch all the time when I lived in Ontario Canada. Now I live near Chattanooga TN and I was out fishing the other day and the person I was fishing with caught one that was maybe in the nine inch range. I did not know we had them here. It was caught in Wolftever Creek. the larger area of wolftever where it is close to chickamagua lake. Any thought from anyone near this area. That is the one and only yellow perch I have seen down here and I have been fishing here since 1989.

According to the range maps in both NatureServe and Peterson's, they don't exist in your area, at least not natively. The Peterson's range map says "Introduced Elsewhere" on it, and the NatureServe range map shows it as being either native or exotic in every state except Tennessee, Arkansas, and Louisiana. I guess they need to update their map to show it being exotic in Tennessee also.

#24 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2007 - 06:21 PM

Okay, some time ago I promised some pictures of my yellow perch. Now that I know what the macro feature is on my camera, here they are.

This one is under the light of the hood.
Attached File  P4220013_Cropped_2.jpg   162.21KB   12 downloads

This one is using the camera's flash.
Attached File  P4220011_Cropped_2.jpg   170.19KB   8 downloads

The flash brings out the colors of the fish and other objects better, but leaves the background darker. I think I need to get better bulbs in my hood.

#25 Guest_flamingo_*

Guest_flamingo_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2007 - 06:28 PM

I just recently caught two perch that I kept. One is around 3-4 inches, other about 6 inches- larger one is with my bass. I've only had a 8 inch one before.. interesting to say the least. It would have days where it would come out, but would really just lurk in the background. I hated feeding it lol.

Posted Image
-that's the bigger of the two, in my 65. I saved it from a large "rock tunnel" with about an inch of water. Fins etc. are all torn up. Second one was caught in a seine, smaller, in with my feeder fish atm.

#26 Guest_wolfie8000_*

Guest_wolfie8000_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2007 - 06:42 PM

Okay, some time ago I promised some pictures of my yellow perch. Now that I know what the macro feature is on my camera, here they are.

That is an excellent looking Perch. What size tank is it in and what was the other fish swimming in the first pic (Green sunfish)?

#27 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2007 - 06:54 PM

That is an excellent looking Perch. What size tank is it in and what was the other fish swimming in the first pic (Green sunfish)?

The perch is about 7 inches long. It's in a 55 gallon tank now. I have upsized its tank as it grew, and I expect I will be upsizing its tank again, although I'd be happy if it stops growing. I think it is at the small end of its typical adult size range right now. Yes, that's a green sunfish, about 5 inches.

#28 Guest_xspainx69_*

Guest_xspainx69_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2007 - 05:37 PM

In my opinion I agree with what most people say that Yellow Perch are shy and hide a lot. To be quit honest with you all, Yellow Perch are punks! The Largemouth beat them around and the Channel cats chase them away. Just like a previous post that someone put before I did, they wait till dark to eat and wont come out of the plant covers. They remind me of the punk kid in elementary school that would sit in the far corner of the school yard and not play and get picked on.

This is my take on Yellow Perch....

#29 Guest_sumthinsfishy_*

Guest_sumthinsfishy_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2007 - 04:17 PM

I would have to disagree with all you that say perch are shy. I have kept quite a few before, and all of them came up to the surface during feeding time, and would school with the sunfish. Where I catch them, they school with the banded killifish or the baby white suckers. The most recent pair I had were doing really well until I went on vacation for a weekend and came back to find my largemouth bass very fat and both perch and a blackside darter missing. I never had a problem with them eating other fish.

#30 Guest_xspainx69_*

Guest_xspainx69_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2007 - 09:34 PM

I bought my Perch from a fish farm in upstate NY, he came with the skin missing from the gill. In other words his right gill is exposed and it seems like the skin is growing back slowly. I cannot seem to get my perch to eat rosy red minnows. Is there anything else I can try to get him to eat? Frozen Krill? Bloodworms? anything I can buy at the pet shop?

#31 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2007 - 09:47 PM

Won't eat rosy reds? That's crazy. When I turned off the lights the minnows of any kind would just disappear by morning.

#32 Guest_sumthinsfishy_*

Guest_sumthinsfishy_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2007 - 02:07 PM

Try smaller fish like guppies.
How big is it?

#33 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2007 - 05:11 PM

Where I catch them, they school with the banded killifish or the baby white suckers.

I too have found them mixed with banded killies. Most likely YOY perch mixed with adult killies. At first glance they look very similar. Made me wonder if the perch infiltrate the schools of killies so they can eat them later when they get bigger. :lol:

I have kept perch a few times over the years. Get 'em when they're small and keep several together, or mixed with similar sized schooling fish, and they are not shy at all. If fact they can be food hogs. Unfortunately they don't get the really bright colors until they are quite large. I usually don't keep them once they get big enough to eat their tankmates. They go byebye. ;)

One thing I've noticed as a fisherman is that in some lakes perch are very stunted. Breeding adults are five inches or so. I wonder if they would stay small in a tank? That is to say, a roomy, well filtered, uncrowded tank. Obviously most fish end up stunted in small, dirty, crowded tanks. :cry:

#34 Guest_xspainx69_*

Guest_xspainx69_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2007 - 08:06 PM

Try smaller fish like guppies.
How big is it?

About 2 inches.. He's slow when he swims in the tank and he kind of reminds me of little nemo. The largemouth bass in my tank are about like 4 to 5 inches long and they kind of disregard him.....like I think they think that he's like a usual in the tank also he can just swim right by their heads and they wont react. ... I guess they decided he's family lol I cant get guppies. They only have feeder goldfish and rosy red minnows and krill and bloodworms and frozen stuff.

#35 Guest_creekcrawler_*

Guest_creekcrawler_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2007 - 12:31 PM

Here's some perch pics -
Posted Image

#36 Guest_creekcrawler_*

Guest_creekcrawler_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2007 - 12:34 PM

Biggest one in the upper middle was 14 5/8".......

#37 Guest_bearskookums_*

Guest_bearskookums_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2007 - 01:26 PM

Nice stringers! I'd like to have a Yellow Perch but haven't caught one yet...I'd ask around and the locals would call blue gills perch too...so that added to the confusion lol.

#38 Guest_creekcrawler_*

Guest_creekcrawler_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2007 - 01:34 PM

HEH.
Lake Erie = Big, Tasty perch.

#39 Guest_octavio_*

Guest_octavio_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2007 - 03:26 PM

HEH.
Lake Erie = Big, Tasty perch.

Hi everyone I have four yellow perch and they are not shy at all. they are always at the front of the tank waiting to be fed,and when fed there the first ones to the food. I have to say that mine are more aggressive and faster towards food than my pumpkinseeds.It could be because their in a school of four. They eat frozen brime shrimp,bloodworms and live blackworms and earthworms. By the way edbihary your yellow perch is beautiful! hope mine get like that when they reach that size.

#40 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2008 - 08:38 PM

I know this is a billion years late, but here goes (paraphrased from Etnier and Starnes, Fishes of Tennessee): perch are not native to TN in historical times, but there are some Pleistocene (12-16,000 year old) fossils from a cave near Columbia (Duck River drainage). They showed up in the Hiwassee River in the 1950's, possibly as an accidental inclusion with stocked walleye. They now occur throughout the Tennessee mainstem and in some tributaries, but are not common except in the Hiwassee.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users