College Questions

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_NativeLover_*

Guest_NativeLover_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2007 - 11:10 AM

I have a degree in Zoology with a minor in Mathematics. My work is business management! I scorned business majors. Scorn, scorn, SCORN! Still do.

I don't recommend a life sciences degree unless you are pursuing a Ph.D. - if you want to work in the life science field, that is.

I'm a business major. =P It shall make me lots of $$$ one day, and I will own 879 tanks in my home. It's the major/field with no limit to how much you make. Entrepreneurship is also valuable.

#22 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2007 - 05:07 PM

Along the lines of volunteering jobs in with animals/biology, I currently volunteer at Zoo Atlanta, and I've heard the GA Aquarium is starting a volunteer program too.

#23 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2007 - 10:43 PM

This is a great thread, I think a lot of people love talking about this. I agree with a lot of what's being said here. I was in the same boat after high school just a few years ago. It was really a matter of asking myself what I would be satisfied with doing everyday. Not an easy question by any means. If you really are interested in wildlife, then go for it. I've gotten in pretty deep myself and enjoyed every moment of it (except being poor isn't too cool while I'm in school, but it comes with the territory). The best thing is knowing that you are doing what you want.

I also wanted to send props to the SCA which has been mentioned already. Although I have not taken a position with the SCA, shortly after I put my application in I was offered two internships in Montana. It would have been great, except I already had taken two other internships in Ohio. There are many great oppurtunities for people out in the west with that organization, take advantage of it.

#24 Guest_Scenicrivers_*

Guest_Scenicrivers_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2007 - 02:28 PM

One of the things that I would suggest is starting on your bachelors degree. While in college, get a work study with professors in biological sciences. Also apply for as many internships as possible and volunteer. The key to finding out what you want to do is WORK. Take internships with nonprofits such as Audubon (they have wildlife sancturaries), state EPA, DNR, consultants, Soil & Water Conservation Districts etc... You can get a very satisfying job with a bachelors degree especially if you have experience to back it up.

Several benefits from volunteering and working in various jobs in the field are;

You get a good idea of the different jobs that are available and what you like to do.
You gain experience that is extremely important in getting your resume placed infront of others.
You gain references from people who are in the field.
You get to network with professionals.
You gain knowledge that will diversify you.
You may get an "in" with a division, agency, etc... that could hire you when/if a position opens up.

Many times your work experience is more important than where you went to school.

Remember you can alter your degree or completely change direction if the jobs you have turn you off. Getting a full time job in this field takes alot of; hard work, perserverance, networking, well I could list many things but you get the idea.

Another recomendation is while you are looking at colleges and degrees, call and visit professionals (from various fields) and discuss with them your options for colleges and degrees. Also look at job postings. These will give you an idea of experience they are looking for and what degrees are most sought after.

You can always go on to get your masters if you determine that you want to or need to.

#25 Guest_critterguy_*

Guest_critterguy_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2007 - 12:29 AM

This thread has been a great help. It is hard to find this kind of information.

I am short on time so will construct a lengthier reply later but

would it be preferable to get a BS in Aquatic/Marine bio or just plain Bio?

#26 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2007 - 07:20 AM

The first two years of most any "science" bachelors are going to be the same basic core classes, in general. You have your chemistry 1 & 2, bio 1 & 2, english req., etc etc. What Scenicrivers was saying is that nothing is written in stone. If you are looking at those two majors right now and can't decide, I would choose whichever you feel more inclined to OR choose the one with the most comprehensive set of 1st and 2nd year classes. Get internships and stuff and make it up as you go. Your mind will ALWAYS be changing, so allow yourself the flexibility to change paths.

#27 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2007 - 08:55 AM

I'll echo what Scott has said... That's up to you. The degree is generic, so it really doesn't matter. As I said earlier, the only thing the degree certifies is that you can read and regurgitate information. What will make you marketable after the fact are the internships and volunteer time you've put into things, and that ultimately will help you form your own ideas about what you want to be "when you grow up".

Something to consider is if you're at a research type institution, you can hunt down professors or grad students who'd be more than glad to take your time as a volunteer while you're a fresh or soph. I routinely take undergrads under my wing and pay them where I can, but in the meantime, they see the world. Not everyone is going to be going on massive Farmertodd Type Trips... But your time will be well invested, esp in the "letters of recommendation" category. And I guarantee you'll be first in line when money does come around.

Never underestimate the power of volunteering.

If you're at a small liberal arts school, find a faculty that will help you set up an independent study that can turn into an honors thesis. This is pretty much the small school equivalent of what I've mentioned before. It'll just take a little more effort on your part.

Todd

#28 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2007 - 10:20 AM

Yeah, like Todd said, put yourself in play. I know that I always need bright undergrads to help run around the back roads on some mission or another. I usually stay away from maddog bridge-to-bridge trips, though...

#29 Guest_Seedy_*

Guest_Seedy_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2007 - 04:31 PM

I'm another "Aquatic Biology" drop-out.

I have a summer session at UC San Diego and Scripps institute (taught by Bert Kobayashi) I did almost 3 years at U.C. Santa Barbara before dropping out as job prospects for aquatic biologists are pretty pitiful.

Here's what I learned from my friends who graduated while I was still there:

After graduation with a BS about the only job you can get is a "counting" job where you are either
A)on a private fishing boat working for the government counting bycatch...I'm talking about "worlds most dangerous jobs" type stuff here.
B)Non-paying internship doing the "counting" work for someone else's research project...this often means staring through a microscope for hours on end counting little itty bitty stuff...
C)Game Warden-If you've always wanted to carry a gun and deal with armed redneck poachers then this is the job for you!

...Pretty much, you really need to continue your education at this point. That means a Graduate program and working towards a doctorate...

OK...so you logged the years working on other peoples projects, you've spent more than 100K on education (Student Loans anyone?) and you've been a peon for the "Grant Getters"...Now you finally have your PHD! So what is the mean income of an Aquatic Biologist with a phd?....~60K a year last time I checked...That's WITH a freaking doctorate!!!

Now, you get to try to get grants, publish, teach and finally design your own studies based off of the grants that you hopefully get...

It's a REALLY long road to get to where most people would want to be, and the rewards are NOT financial....

If you are going to be an Aquatic Biologist you MUST have an absolute passion to make it...otherwise, you'll end up working a desk job and doing your collecting on the weekends like me :)

#30 Guest_TomNear_*

Guest_TomNear_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2007 - 04:38 PM

My advice would be to get into the best college our university that you can. Being in California there are several outstanding options. Once in college, take classes that you want to take and by all means get involved with research right after you settle into campus life.

The prospects are not nearly as bleak as painted by some of these posts; however, it does take hard work and a willingness to learn to write and write often.

If you would like more detailed suggestions about programs in California, or elsewhere, feel free to send me a personal message.

Best,
Tom Near

#31 Guest_critterguy_*

Guest_critterguy_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2007 - 02:09 AM

Tom,

Since you seem to be in the know on CA, and thats most likely where I will be stuck(?) I've sent over a message. Thank you for your time when/if you reply!

Btw, am I the only one who considers the fauna of an area when thinking of moving. CA in regards to fish/herps/inverts is a pretty boring state, particularly Central CA where the ecosystem has been screwed up to the point where you seldom see native fish. The only cool critters I can think of is that we get tarantulas around here in the fall.

#32 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2007 - 10:24 AM

Why do you think Tom went to Tennessee before his prestigous appointment in the depauperate north east? :)

It's definately something to consider. But I wouldn't consider it until you start thinking about graduate work. You've got one heck of a deal there in Cali for your undergrad (your in-state value is exceptional). My 20's would probably have been pretty different if I lived 5 miles further north and could have gone to U Mich or Michigan State. I could have gone to OSU, but I didn't want to go to school with 70,000 other people, and the other Ohio schools worth a dime cost more like a quarter, so I went to a liberal arts school, because it cost the same with scholarships. That was the WRONG answer lol. All that chemistry needed an outdoor component to keep my attention and my eye on the goal, and you'll be able to find that at any of the larger universities. Someone will be going outside, somewhere in the departments at the bigger schools.

Don't forget about your ocean species either (only freshwater is fairly boring). Larry Allen at Northridge, for example, is one opportunity. http://www.csun.edu/...club/allen.html

Not exactly boring stuff :)

Todd

#33 Guest_critterguy_*

Guest_critterguy_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2007 - 02:01 AM

What schools are you talking of? CSU's or UC's? Also, if I may ask, what kind of student were you back in the day? For me I think that mid-level UC's would be about as "high" as I can go, not an exceptional student, but good enough to make the cut well at CSU's. It is tough to tell which schools offer good Marine/aquatic Bio programs. SDSU, UCSD are pretty obvious due to location/Scripps...but UCSD would probably require community college for 2 years an then the gamble at getting transfered. Have heard mixed things about SDSU. I think UCSB and Santa Cruz also have programs but no idea how good they are. You'd think CSU Monterey would offer Marine Bio but I didn't see it mentioned...though they do offer Oceanography.

As apps. time draws near, we'll seehow things go. Ahh...the college application ratrace. :)

#34 Guest_bpkeck_*

Guest_bpkeck_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2007 - 10:18 PM

Too chime in late, I'll just add that choosing an academic institution is far more individual than it may seem. I went to a small liberal arts school where the frequent interaction with faculty kept me involved and is probably the reason I am still pursuing an academic career. It fit my personality and I couldn't ask for more than I received. However, many people I know went to large universities and came away with the same feeling. There is no one institution that can produce perfect graduates or fit every type of person. It may sound cheesy, but your major consideration should be what kind of academic environment will suite you best.

#35 Guest_critterguy_*

Guest_critterguy_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2008 - 11:12 PM

LOL, that is easier said than done.

Btw, I noticed someone mentioned F&G in here. I met someone who's Dad is a F&G officer(now a supervisor)...and it sounded pretty cool, minus gov red tape. He tagged mountain lions :laugh: , deer, etc. and did some stuff involving fish.

I'd like to thank again everyone who posted advice in this thread.

#36 Guest_JohnO_*

Guest_JohnO_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2008 - 09:53 AM

Another similar story. I grew up keeping and cataloging the fish in the creek on our farm. Pumpkinseed sunfish, suckers, rainbow and greenthroat darters, mottled sculpin (recently found a dead one about 4" long, what a beast), various crawfish, all the critters you find in a fast, cold creek.

Went off to the U of Miami with visions of becoming a marine biologist. But I found that it was a long road to get there, and employment prospects weren't all that good, and oh I guess I partied a bit too much, easy to do at that school.

I thought I'd take a run at law school - stereotypes aside, it's a fascinating mental challenge. But then I got a look at the number of hungry lawyers out there. Ended up going into software development. Employment prospects are still quite good in that field, especially if you can get on with a good company. You can go anywhere in the world and usually find work.

If anything has served me well in my chosen field, it is passion. Believing in what you're doing, and always wanting to do it better.

So I look back twenty years later at that naive kid wondering what he wanted to do with his life, and not having a clue what it all meant. I still don't know what I want to do with my life, but I'm having a pretty good time. Finding that huge dead sculpin rekindled my interest in native fish, so I've just finished setting up a 75 gal tank, a size I could only dream of as a boy. Collection begins in a couple of weeks. We'll see if my darter catching technique is as sharp as it once was.

#37 Guest_critterguy_*

Guest_critterguy_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2008 - 09:35 PM

In a similar topic on another forum someone suggested that for those interested in working with animals it is best to NOT take basic biology as that is geared towards people interest in micro-molecular biology. Zoology was suggested instead. Thoughts?

#38 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2008 - 10:38 PM

Yup - very much agree!

#39 Guest_BLChristie_*

Guest_BLChristie_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2008 - 12:31 AM

This thread has been a great help. It is hard to find this kind of information.

I am short on time so will construct a lengthier reply later but

would it be preferable to get a BS in Aquatic/Marine bio or just plain Bio?

That would depend on how sure you are you want to continue on in the field. Aquatic/marine biology degree programs will be more specialized than general biology/zoology programs. I earned my B.S. in Marine Biology at a school which is EXTREMELY specialized (85 hours of 145 spent in my major), works out great for me now in the field, but I know many of my classmates (I would say about 75%) that are working in another field now and would have done just as well with a general biology degree (and they would have been more well rounded).

I think the key no matter whre you attend school is to explore every opportunity for experience available to you while you are in school, volunteer for everything you have time for, take as many internships as possible, try to get on with a professor doing field and labwork, read as much as you can, keep your own aquaria, go SCUBA diving, and spend a good chunk of time out in the field with a dipnet and a notebook just being a naturalist and applying what you're learning ...at least that's what has worked for me!

...oh and remember one thing, as a Nobel Laureate once said: "never mix explosive chemicals under a large tree"

#40 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2008 - 12:32 AM

Critterguy-

I'm not sure if you're using 'basic biology' and 'zoology' to refer to courses or to concentrations. At my alma mater, and at most schools as far as I know, a two-semester basic biology course is mandatory for all biology majors, and is a prerequisite for most other biology courses; this course touches briefly on many aspects of the subject, from cellular physiology and genetics to ecology and evolution. Zoology is a separate, more advanced class which focuses on the organismal biology of animals; often 'Zoology' concentrates strongly on vertebrates.

As far as concentrations go, 'zoology' is seldom an option these days. If you wish to study only organismal biology, wildlife management is probably the most suitable major for you. I went with a simple biology major, and I don't feel that it has held me back. I did study a lot of physiology, but I believe that has made me a better organismal biologist than I would be if I had only studied organismal biology.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users