College Questions

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2008 - 06:53 AM

In most colleges, undergraduates major in "biology", not zoology, pre-med or any other specialization. Large landgrant schools that have specialized departments might offer specialized tracks, but they'll usually include core courses like intro biology, genetics and cell biology. You're not doing yourself a favor to specialize as an undergraduate, you become a tech rather than educated.

#42 Guest_JakeLevi1_*

Guest_JakeLevi1_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2008 - 07:56 AM

The University of Ohio, Columbus has an excellent science curriculum, a biology degree can have several courses in Fisheries. And opportunities to work in summer internships. Also in grad school you get opportunities to lead projects. As was pointed out the first two years gives you plenty of time to look over the whole field. I'd go for a biology major with a minor in chemistry. If you're still interested in fisheries then you can specilize in grad school of which Ohio has an excellent one. Ohio has a fisheries field station up by Lake Erie.

Give the military some thought, I dont know your financial situation but a tour can mostly pay for your undergrad degree plus most schools also give you credit for military service in the humanities.

#43 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2008 - 08:32 AM

University of Ohio? Do you mean Ohio University? That isn't in Columbus, it's in Athens. Ohio State is in Columbus.

#44 Guest_critterguy_*

Guest_critterguy_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2008 - 12:04 AM

I'm going to visit UC Riverside, Cal State Long Beach, and possibly Cal Poly Pomona this weekend.

Btw, I've gotta agree on physiology helping ones understanding of biology a lot. While I did not find the actual mechanics of, say, C3 or CAM vs C4 photosynthesis interesting it adds a whole new dimension to adaptation. I was always taught that aridland plants survived because of small leaves and other more obvious water storing devices, and the thought is that certain fish could tolerate cold water simply because they are "tougher". Not so according to Mr. Biologists(can I say Robert Goldstein's book American Aquarium fishes where he lightly skims this and fishes ability to deal with Hydrogen sulfide was quite interesting)! Then of course you can get into the trade offs involved in fish adapted to live in environs with different concentrations of oxygen...

I know a lot of people say their is a difference between a hobby and a life's work(I think that means career). But considering you'll be spending a lot more time in your career than your hobbies, you best find something you know you'll be ok with doing for a long time!

Edited by critterguy, 25 April 2008 - 12:13 AM.

#45 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2008 - 06:18 AM

When I lived in Sacramento/Davis my roommate's (also a college buddy from NY) cousin would visit pretty regularly. He was going to Humbolt State for fisheries biology graduate work and was constantly traveling up and down the west coast doing salmon sampling and other fishes too. Really loved it.

#46 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2008 - 08:48 AM

..... thought is that certain fish could tolerate cold water simply because they are "tougher". Not so according to Mr. Biologists....

It's funny how a lot of people think that. One of the guys in my office once asked me why we have so many regulations regarding coastal work; aren't the fish adapted to a really harsh environment? I explained that they are adapted to a particular environment, and that often if it changes the wildlife can't handle the change. He understood.

I know a lot of people say their is a difference between a hobby and a life's work(I think that means career). But considering you'll be spending a lot more time in your career than your hobbies, you best find something you know you'll be ok with doing for a long time!

But I've also heard people say "make your hobby your work", and the few people I know who were able to do that are rather happy, I'd say. Of course, there are a lot of hobbies out there that wouldn't support a family (or fish hobby). Choosing is about balance - a quality of life thing. How happy are you overall, with everything combined.

#47 Guest_rjmtx_*

Guest_rjmtx_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2008 - 10:25 AM

CSU Chico seems to have a diverse aquatic program focusing on natives and invasion ecology. Dr. Marchetti came and did a talk at Texas State a couple of weeks ago, and it looks like he's addressing some serious issues in the state. He was also one of Mayden's students, so there arte strong ties to the Mayden lab. Check it out if you haven't already.

#48 Guest_critterguy_*

Guest_critterguy_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2008 - 09:18 PM

I commited to long beach state. My other option (that I was really considering) would have been/could be UC Riverside.

#49 Guest_critterguy_*

Guest_critterguy_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2008 - 04:09 PM

Well, with fall semester rolling around the corner I think I made a pretty good decision with CSULB.

The marine bio department, which unlike many other schools is a major unto itself, not an option(which unfortunately means some classes are not transferable should you decide to switch) looks pretty impressive to me. Should be lots of internships available and they have a program where you can spend a semester on Catalina island somewhere in your later years and make a research project.(its a cooperative thing between LB & Fullerton). I also met and talked to a marine biologist(who works with desert tortoises now, :laugh: ) in person which was very helpful.

I'll add more to this when I have more time.

#50 Guest_critterguy_*

Guest_critterguy_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2008 - 08:08 PM

well, a lot of possible internships(both in and out of the school) seem to be popping up. My folks suggest that I wait till second semester before doing any to get a hand of college first...grades etc. Some random possibilities would be working in the labs of professors(one guy is doing research on sharks, pretty well known), Aquarium of the Pacific, and probably more to come.

Thoughts?
Thanks!

#51 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2008 - 08:15 PM

The more experience the better, but I do kind of agree that getting ones priorities and grade set, straight, whatever you want to call it, does tend to take precidence. I'll be one to admit that my first and second semester weren't my greatest and as a result my overall GPA suffered a bit. I found plenty of time begining that next summer and into my second year to start gaining experience.

#52 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2008 - 09:16 PM

Yeah, Matt's pretty much right. Make sure you get decent grades in general education requirements like pre-calculus (or calculus?), and of course whatever biology you take. You don't want to have to repeat courses, that will bog you down big-time. And if you're taking chemistry, pay attention, the required computer-based homework they ask of you will be tedious and tie you down. If you do well you're more interesting to possible research labs in the near future.

#53 Guest_jdclarksc_*

Guest_jdclarksc_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2008 - 10:15 PM

Yeah, Matt's pretty much right. Make sure you get decent grades in general education requirements like pre-calculus (or calculus?), and of course whatever biology you take. You don't want to have to repeat courses, that will bog you down big-time. And if you're taking chemistry, pay attention, the required computer-based homework they ask of you will be tedious and tie you down. If you do well you're more interesting to possible research labs in the near future.

When we look at interns we prefer that they be at least 1/2 way through their sophomore year. That way we know they have a basic understanding of the chemistry and biology that we base our filtration systems and exhibit designs on and so forth..

#54 Guest_critterguy_*

Guest_critterguy_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2008 - 12:51 PM

Thanks guys! Pretty much mirrors my thoughts. Some profs have said they are always in need of volunteers for basic stuff such as collecting specimens etc. I'll see about second semester/summer.

#55 Guest_critterguy_*

Guest_critterguy_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2008 - 12:09 PM

Well, the school has an organization(Marine Bio Student Asso.) just for marine bio majors, so have gotten to meet alot of the faculty and of course fellow marine bioers. Also got to take a peek at the marine lab during the intro to marine bio course. Pretty cool setup they got going. Since it is Socal and SW they had among other things a sheepshead, several spiny lobsters, sheep crab, thornback ray, etc. in several large vats that had a seawater connection along with numerous smaller tanks with various experiments going on.

#56 Guest_JakeLevi_*

Guest_JakeLevi_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2008 - 07:38 AM

http://www.esf.edu/a...ns/programs.htm

Scroll to page 2 (4 of 58)
http://www.paulsmith...escriptions.pdf

I'd suggest a B.S. in Biology, I got mine in Animal Science, and then in grad school Fisheries Science. My first eight years after grad school was doing contract stream surveys, mostly in the Northwest. later I segued over to aquaculture and then spent a number of years teaching aquaculture in mostly 3rd world countries. it was enjoyable for me, not for everybody.

Find out what you like to do and then get grounded in it, the work will come when you know what you really like to do.

#57 Guest_Jeff_*

Guest_Jeff_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:18 AM

...........all this to prove my point made on another thread. Lots of well-educated and even intelligent :mrgreen: folks on this list. A TRUE wealth of information at our fingertips.

Keep up the great posts! Much good advice seen here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users