10-01-07 Tuxachanie Creek

35 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2007 - 08:53 PM

The percina I see in the above picture looks like the ubiquitous, but always different, blackbanded darter, Percina nigrofasciata. I wasn't going to pitch a fit about it though :) Been nice to get one with a photo. There's nil online for aurora.

Todd

Yep, it's a blackbanded. I don't think I have any photos of the pearl darter, but I have collected them many time when working on the leaf river in Mississippi.

#22 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2007 - 09:06 PM

If you think about it, get a shot next time you've caught one. That's one I'd really like to see a good photo of (as I'm sure there are others who would enjoy it as well).

Todd

#23 Guest_MScooter_*

Guest_MScooter_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2007 - 12:29 AM

Edit made to Percina nigrofasciata. The size and shape of the eyes, pointy snout, light coloration, and gentle sloap above the opercle (and some wishful thinking) leaned me towards P. aurora.

Here is another one that clears it up:
nanfatchoutacfoula_048.jpg

I've been missing that stream too. I propose camping where Martin did and work up from there and back on day one for all the minnows, and then an out and back on day two from the bridge for the sunfish. That way we could achieve the goal of wading up to that damn bridge.

#24 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2007 - 08:23 AM

You guys are world famous. So I'm talkin' to my good buddy Ryan last night, and he says "Hey I heard something about some NANFA guys going like 13 river miles in the dark to get between bridges?" (yeah I love good fish stories too lol)

He works with one of Dr. Schaefer's recent students, again, too small a world. The part they didn't hear about was the rubber raft. I think you guys made their dinner conversation last night :)

He WAS excited, however, that some flagfins would be in Ohio again. Hopefully the acclimation and shipping have gone well. It's still too warm for my tastes to collect fish, but we'll take 'em how we can, and kill whatever we have to. I'm in the process of setting up 60 gallons of quarantine. I finally learned my lesson this year.

Todd

#25 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2007 - 08:57 AM

So... Last week, us Yankee types had the inagural meeting of the Society of Ohio Recovery and Elucidation of Ammocrypta and Subgenera Sympatric Etheostoma Species (SOREASSES). I thought I would post it here along with your Catfish Trials, so we could compare and contrast.

Forum member Ben Keck of the Univ of Tennessee, Marc Kibbey of the Ohio State Univ Museum, and a fella named Jacob who is forum member Tom Near's lab tech did a float down Paint Creek through the gorge in search of Nothonotus and eastern sand darter. We quickly learned one thing about our superior aluminum technology:

It's really danged heavy when you have to carry it over every stinkin' riffle!!!!

We initially planned to start on the road adjacent to the gorge, but that wasn't the locality that I remembered. This put us about 4.5-5 miles upstream for our put in, and the entire strech was winding alluvial plain stream with riffles on every corner. There was so little water in the stream, that every riffle was a struggle, and usually involved getting out and walking. By the time we got to the road from which we would have liked to launch, we were dead. Forgot water, there was limited food.

But the fish and scenery were goregous. We got some bluebreasts that were even larger than the monsters I'd found here before. They were just enormous. Pics tonight.

Also found a good population of sand darter in some of the sand swales off riffles.

And then it started to rain. And then it rained a little harder. And harder. And harder. And then it got dark. And darker and darker... You get the idea. And remember that part about having to carry the canoes over every riffle? This was below the gorge, so the rocks were all much more cobble-ish than I ever care to wander among in the dark and pouring rain. I just closed my eyes, I walked better that way. We knew we wouldn't die... But it was like "Okay, this can end ANY minute now."

Finally a light at a house looked promising and Jacob demanded we at least go ask for help. Turned out to be our take out. And not a river meter soon enough!

Didn't end up finding any spotted darter. I'm encouraged by Brian Z and his MBI crew getting them out in the mainstem Scioto south of the confluence. Now to determine if it's the paper mill that's keeping them out, or Paint Creek really isn't a good place for spotted darter to live.

The next day, as I've alluded to in another thread... The problem was no longer too little water. It was too much. But we managed to look at some of the Kokosing River's finest before the pulse came in (the Darby was presently getting rearranged). We got a second spotted darter, and it was like "Okay, I ain't dying for no fish. If you find anything THAT different, I'll come back and get more material. Sheesh." :)

Todd

#26 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2007 - 08:03 PM

You guys are world famous. So I'm talkin' to my good buddy Ryan last night, and he says "Hey I heard something about some NANFA guys going like 13 river miles in the dark to get between bridges?" (yeah I love good fish stories too lol)

....And thus the legend was born! Now I suppose EVERYONE will want to join the Catfish Alliance. Years from now, 34 people will claim they were on that trip ("Hell yeah, I was THERE! And there was a Category 4 hurricane going through but I said, what the hell, let's do it!!").

#27 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2007 - 08:01 PM

....And thus the legend was born! Now I suppose EVERYONE will want to join the Catfish Alliance. Years from now, 34 people will claim they were on that trip ("Hell yeah, I was THERE! And there was a Category 4 hurricane going through but I said, what the hell, let's do it!!").

Yeah, that was a first for me can't wait till we do it again.

#28 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2007 - 03:01 PM

Yeah, that was a first for me can't wait till we do it again.

Those who go, know!

#29 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2007 - 06:19 PM

We quickly learned one thing about our superior aluminum technology:

It's really danged heavy when you have to carry it over every stinkin' riffle!!!!

I used a giant rubbermaid tub doing my graduate work. Granted, it was in still Carolina bay water, so it didn't tip over. But it was indestructible. I suppose one could make a more stable version by drilling holes in the top of a few and stringing them together raft-style.

#30 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2007 - 11:46 AM

We've been kicking around the idea of using swimming noodles as a basis for our next raft, the SS Garpike. They can't be popped. I think the Rubbermaid container could fit into this design. I'll mull it over.

#31 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2007 - 06:08 PM

I use a fishing tube for my long excursions. Fishing gear in the pockets on one side, camera equipment in the other side, poles secured in front and seine and dipnet hang secured off the back with a couple sewed on pieces of heavy duty velcro - and a full sized rubbermade cooler fits perfectly snug in between the sides where someone sits for a live well. It floats behind me on a rope real nice - plus it's durable, light weight when using a floating minnow bucket instead of a cooler, and rides extremely shallow so I rarely have to portage it.
I'll take a picture of the setup next time I use it.

Here's one I googled that's close to mine minus the nasty color.

Posted Image

#32 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2007 - 07:02 PM

Inflatables are RIGHT OUT! Also aluminum canoes.

#33 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2007 - 11:21 AM

We've been kicking around the idea of using swimming noodles as a basis for our next raft, the SS Garpike. They can't be popped. I think the Rubbermaid container could fit into this design. I'll mull it over.

We used the swimming noodles as a way to float a "fish crib" on the fish survey crew. We were electrofishing with a long-line and had someone following behind (out of electricities way) with a small plastic concoction, filled with water, that was floated by the noodles. It was light enough to drag through riffles too, plus we attached a rope to it that could fit around your waist for the long haul.

#34 Guest_wegl2001_*

Guest_wegl2001_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2007 - 11:55 AM

Inflatables are RIGHT OUT! Also aluminum canoes.

Martin,
Go to Cabelas and check out ice fishing sleds. The local fishermen use something similar to this when they are gigging for flounder.

#35 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2007 - 11:06 PM

Martin,
Go to Cabelas and check out ice fishing sleds. The local fishermen use something similar to this when they are gigging for flounder.

David, this reminds me,

I thought you were in for this trip? Hell you missed all the fun!

#36 Guest_wegl2001_*

Guest_wegl2001_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2007 - 10:50 AM

Yeah, usually when I have to miss a trip all I hear is how perfect everything went and all the rare fish that were collected. :D I partcipated in enough "fun" trips in my younger days to make up for missing this one. Maybe next time. Cabelas also has a small boat for carrying duck decoys that would work. The stores around here used to carry them but not any more.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users