New Native Tank!

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_brimsorbust_*

Guest_brimsorbust_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2007 - 08:17 AM

After a horrible move from Las Vegas, NV I finally got my new native tank.( I had to sell my 75 gallon filled with bluegill and green sunfish at our garage sale :cry: ) I have a small 20 gallon tank ( I now live down the street from petsmart. :-D ) It now has 5 rosy red minnows and 5 fathead minnows. It is planted and has some driftwood. Soon to add 2-3 small sunfish.

Attached Files

#2 Guest_sumthinsfishy_*

Guest_sumthinsfishy_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2007 - 09:11 AM

I think it would look really good if you added a lot of vallisnera in the back.
What type of sunfish are you getting?

#3 Guest_rodgerpidacter_*

Guest_rodgerpidacter_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2007 - 11:45 AM

where did you move to? and your petco sells fathead minnows?

#4 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2007 - 01:15 PM

where did you move to? and your petco sells fathead minnows?

rosy reds are a color variation of fathead minnows. a lot of times you end up with both.

#5 Guest_rodgerpidacter_*

Guest_rodgerpidacter_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2007 - 05:00 PM

i see thank you

#6 Guest_brimsorbust_*

Guest_brimsorbust_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2007 - 07:38 PM

I think it would look really good if you added a lot of vallisnera in the back.
What type of sunfish are you getting?

I am getting small 2-4 inch bluegill. Oh, one of my rosy reds died this morning from getting beat up by bigger fish. :-(

#7 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2007 - 09:11 PM

rosy reds are a color variation of fathead minnows. a lot of times you end up with both.

I thought rosy reds where actually proven a variation of bluntnose minnow a long while back, and are now considered hybrids of Pimephales sp. , or did I just read an article from a bad sorce?

#8 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2007 - 09:37 PM

AFAIK, they are Pimephales promelas

#9 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2007 - 09:54 PM

AFAIK, they are Pimephales promelas

Well, I guess it doesn't really matter, as they are still a species in Pimephales, and they all get fat heads. :-D I'll see if I can find the article.

BTW, Brimsorbust, your rosy reds will end up as food before too long.

Edit: Here is the article: http://www.nanfa.org...dec00/0063.html . Turns out they were believed to be bullhead minnows, not bluntnoses. I was wrong.

#10 Guest_brimsorbust_*

Guest_brimsorbust_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2007 - 06:50 AM

These minnows are about 1-2 inches long, the bluegill I will be catching are 2-3 inches, no bigger.

#11 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2007 - 10:13 AM

These minnows are about 1-2 inches long, the bluegill I will be catching are 2-3 inches, no bigger.

Those bluegill can grow up to an inch a month, and will grow up to 13" if given good care and enough food. The minners will be food sooner or later.

#12 Guest_brimsorbust_*

Guest_brimsorbust_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2007 - 12:21 PM

I just caught a 3 inch bluegill 2 hours ago! :-D It is slowly moving around near the bottom of the tank and I tried feeding it tofu(Thats what I used to feed them before I moved.) and he is not eating. he is 3 inches and a male. Can you help me?

#13 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2007 - 04:44 PM

I just caught a 3 inch bluegill 2 hours ago! :-D It is slowly moving around near the bottom of the tank and I tried feeding it tofu(Thats what I used to feed them before I moved.) and he is not eating. he is 3 inches and a male. Can you help me?

Try giving him natural food, since tofu does not naturally occur in the wild. Give him small earthworms and things like that. Do your rosy reds eat flake? If so, you could train him to flake pretty quick, and then move on to pellets.

#14 Guest_brimsorbust_*

Guest_brimsorbust_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2007 - 06:37 PM

He ate a piece of boiled corn but when I tried to feed him another one he refused to eat it. I am going to go to petsmart and get some freeze dried meal worms. He is now happily swimming around the tank :-D .

Attached Files

#15 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2007 - 07:16 PM

I use a special tofu made just for bluegills - they love it :---)

#16 Guest_schoolofperch_*

Guest_schoolofperch_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2007 - 10:41 PM

Is this going to be a vegan bluegill?

#17 Guest_rockbassbud5_*

Guest_rockbassbud5_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2007 - 12:12 AM

Why don't you just start out with some more normal foods such as worms, bugs, flakes ect.
then work your way into getting him to take some more exotic foods. The mealworms sound like a good idea.
Also, don't try to force so much food upon him right away. Give him a few days to acclimate before giving him full meals.

#18 Guest_brimsorbust_*

Guest_brimsorbust_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2007 - 02:36 PM

Why don't you just start out with some more normal foods such as worms, bugs, flakes ect.
then work your way into getting him to take some more exotic foods. The mealworms sound like a good idea.
Also, don't try to force so much food upon him right away. Give him a few days to acclimate before giving him full meals.

Thanks for helping me out,he ate a few pieces of corn but i'm going to get him more natural food as soon as possible.

#19 Guest_rockbassbud5_*

Guest_rockbassbud5_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2007 - 06:36 PM

No problem. One of the keys to having sucess with any kind of fish is patience. And im sure
that there are plenty of people here that will agree with me. Just take it slow and give him plenty of
time to adjust.

#20 Guest_Nightwing_*

Guest_Nightwing_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2007 - 11:24 PM

Thanks for helping me out,he ate a few pieces of corn but i'm going to get him more natural food as soon as possible.

I don't mean to offend...but corn is a HORRIBLE food for fish. It has zero nutritional value, and it can actually kill them by causing a blockage of the intestinal track(they don't digest it much better then we do...).
For a predator such as a sunfish, I don't imagine tofu is much better.
The mealworms would be good, heck, get some earthworms and chop em' up...the gill' will love them!
Oh..think about a MUCH larger tank also, soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users