New Native Tank!

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_sumthinsfishy_*

Guest_sumthinsfishy_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2007 - 03:16 PM

If you really want to fatten him up, give him two wax worms.
I don't understand how people catch suckers on corn. I tried feeding mine a tiny piece, and it spat it out right away.
I'm surprised you guys can get your fish to eat dried mealworms. Mine hate anything dried, but will eat all types of flakes, frozen, and live foods.

#22 Guest_brimsorbust_*

Guest_brimsorbust_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2007 - 02:20 PM

I bought him freeze dried red shrimp and he loves it! He ate 7 in 2 hours and he now looks very healthy, he hasn't eaten any minnows yet so I think they will be fine.

#23 Guest_sumthinsfishy_*

Guest_sumthinsfishy_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2007 - 04:04 PM

The reason he hasn't eaten any minnows yet is probably because they are too big for him, or he's still trying to figure out the best way to catch them since they know how to avoid him.
They will most likely be food within a month.

#24 Guest_brimsorbust_*

Guest_brimsorbust_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2007 - 05:39 AM

I plan on releasing him in about 2 months. I don't just catch them and keep them until they die,I just like to watch them and release.

#25 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2007 - 08:11 AM

I plan on releasing him in about 2 months. I don't just catch them and keep them until they die,I just like to watch them and release.

I would like to discourage this practice. Release of captive fish in wild waters is illegal under just about every circumstance. Very good reasons for this as well. In the odd chance you intend to release the fish in "private" water, I'll also discourage this since "private" water is usually only one good rain away from touching wild water. The chances might be low for disease transmission but I'll bet your tank has housed some sort of fish from a pet shop at some time. You wouldn't want to pass along a disease to private water and certainly not let some disease run through a river system. Sorry for the rant but we encourage the thinking when you take a fish from the wild, you must keep it for life. If one doesn't have the means to care for the entire life of the fish, it's better left in the wild.

#26 Guest_Mysteryman_*

Guest_Mysteryman_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2007 - 08:26 AM

Well, Teleost beat me to it, but he said it a lot more diplomatically than I would have. Don't even THINK about releasing that fish back into the wild. It's a crime, in the first place, and remarkably wreckless in the second. How would you like to be the one responsible for wiping out half the fish in your local waters with a disease from which they have no natural immunity or resistance? It can happen, and much more easily than you may think. That's one reason it's illegal in the first place.

#27 Guest_p3purr_*

Guest_p3purr_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2007 - 11:51 AM

Yeah, releasing is a really bad idea! What teleost and Mysteryman said is right on target and if Mysteryman sounded harsh he's just driving home a very good and serious point.

If nothing else find a home for him with someone who can take PROPER care of him for the rest of his natural life and DON'T get anymore fish (wild or not) that you can't take care of for their lifetime.

#28 Guest_sumthinsfishy_*

Guest_sumthinsfishy_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2007 - 02:05 PM

It really helps if you can find someone with a pond or a lot of tanks who is willing to take fish.
Or better yet, get a big pond and you can catch all the fish you want.

#29 Guest_brimsorbust_*

Guest_brimsorbust_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2007 - 02:18 PM

Well I tested the water in my tank and nothings wrong with it and I asked about the pond and it turns out that it has high amounts of mercury in it so I don't think I can do much more harm to it. And my tank has only housed natives, I have never had any tropical fish or fancy fish.

#30 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2007 - 02:37 PM

Well I tested the water in my tank and nothings wrong with it and I asked about the pond and it turns out that it has high amounts of mercury in it so I don't think I can do much more harm to it. And my tank has only housed natives, I have never had any tropical fish or fancy fish.

It may be legal to release the fish into a private water in your state (it may not) but again, I'll beg you not to do it. Even thought the pond has mercury and you've only kept natives, you might have a disease you're unaware of. Your fish might appear healthy at this time but your can never be sure. I notice you have rosy reds. Did they come from a pet shop? If so, they probably swam in the same water as fish from every continent. If you bought them from a tackle shop there's still a potential for issues.

#31 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2007 - 03:40 PM

BrimsOrBust,

This has been hashed out many, MANY times here. The reasons are not immediately obvious, but I implore you to refrain from releasing your fishes, ever. I realize this goes against every natural instinct you have, but I am convinced it is the only ethical approach. Don't keep fishes you can't maintain for life, and don't release the ones which you kept in violation of that rule.

#32 Guest_rockbassbud5_*

Guest_rockbassbud5_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2007 - 06:13 PM

Rosy reds are also the worst for carrying diseases. Most of us here work to get our predatory fish off rosies because
of how disease ridden they are. But this goes for all fish of any sort being kept with a native! Please don't even
consider releasing any aquarium fish or invertabre of any kind. It is in your best interest to preserve the aquatic wildlife around you!

#33 Guest_brimsorbust_*

Guest_brimsorbust_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2007 - 02:39 PM

Well I guess I'm going to buy a 75 gallon aren't I.

#34 Guest_sumthinsfishy_*

Guest_sumthinsfishy_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2007 - 03:25 PM

That would be good for a couple sunfish.
You might want to get some different fish to cycle the tank, or if you can easily catch bluegill, put one of them in right away.

#35 Guest_brimsorbust_*

Guest_brimsorbust_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2007 - 09:56 AM

That would be good for a couple sunfish.
You might want to get some different fish to cycle the tank, or if you can easily catch bluegill, put one of them in right away.

It is very easy for me to catch more than 10 sunfish in half an hour. I usually use freeze dried red shrimp from petsmart and it works great.

#36 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2007 - 07:56 PM

It is very easy for me to catch more than 10 sunfish in half an hour. I usually use freeze dried red shrimp from petsmart and it works great.

Don't put 10 in there. You'll have a very nasty tank in a very short time with some extremely crowded fish.

#37 Guest_sumthinsfishy_*

Guest_sumthinsfishy_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2007 - 02:16 PM

Put maybe one or two in.

#38 Guest_brimsorbust_*

Guest_brimsorbust_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2007 - 04:47 PM

I would never have more than 4 sunfish in a 75 gallon tank, but the prolem is that I don't have enough money for a 75 gallon or the room.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users