Anyone Ever Keep Rainwater Killies In Fresh Water?

3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2007 - 06:36 PM

Well I think I'm gonna try.
I've got a good sized school of rainwaters in my saltwater tank [about 20, all in one scoop of dipnet]. The males have colored up amazingly. Lemon yellow with blue/black fins.
Been thinking of acclimating some sailfin mollies from freshwater into the salt tank. I decided to go the other way with some rainwaters.
I'll post results in the future.
Would like to hear of similar experiences.

#2 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2007 - 05:59 AM

Well I think I'm gonna try.
I've got a good sized school of rainwaters in my saltwater tank [about 20, all in one scoop of dipnet]. The males have colored up amazingly. Lemon yellow with blue/black fins.
Been thinking of acclimating some sailfin mollies from freshwater into the salt tank. I decided to go the other way with some rainwaters.
I'll post results in the future.
Would like to hear of similar experiences.

I have caught them several times in pure fresh water so it should not be an issue.

#3 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2007 - 04:15 PM

I went ahead and moved 2 males and 3 females from salt to fresh.
I used a slow drip over 24 hours. They seemed to adjust fine. Colors are a little washed out but the water is a bit warmer and the lighting alot brighter. They school well with the mollies where they kinda blend in with the young being the same shape and similar color.
They seem to be picking at hair algae [yahoo!] but also at snails [boo!]. They also immediately took to flake food which they never got in the saltwater tank.
I'll report back after some time goes by in case anyone else is interested.
Next experiment - how will mollies raised in a heavily planted freshwater tank adjust to a plantless saltwater tank where meat is on the menu?

#4 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2007 - 05:26 PM

Next experiment - how will mollies raised in a heavily planted freshwater tank adjust to a plantless saltwater tank where meat is on the menu?

Well, there are two possible outcomes:
  • They'll do OK.
  • They're gonna die
Time will tell!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users