Keeping Lampreys

13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2007 - 10:23 AM

I was thinking it would be cool to have some ammocoetes and then breed the adults when they get older. How would I go about keeping them as far as temp., food, substrate, etc.?

#2 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2007 - 05:16 PM

I was thinking it would be cool to have some ammocoetes and then breed the adults when they get older. How would I go about keeping them as far as temp., food, substrate, etc.?

Where you thinking of Non-feeding, omnivore or parasitic lamprey? Each has different care depending on the stage of life.

#3 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2007 - 07:23 PM

Where you thinking of Non-feeding, omnivore or parasitic lamprey? Each has different care depending on the stage of life.

Mountain brooks. I'm not sure what they are, but those are the ones I want. Will they breed naturally in captivity? I read the AC article and it talked about stripping gametes, but I like things to go as naturally as possible. Also, do you know where I could get some?

#4 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2007 - 09:53 PM

Mountain brooks. I'm not sure what they are, but those are the ones I want. Will they breed naturally in captivity? I read the AC article and it talked about stripping gametes, but I like things to go as naturally as possible. Also, do you know where I could get some?

Well I'm going to say bluntly now that I have been asking for Ichthyomyzon greeleyi for years now and have managed to come up with two preserved specimens and zero live ones. I've looked around some Tennessee localities and always came up empty. I presume longterm captive husbandry would be similar to the American Brook lamprey or Northern Lamprey. All of these tend to show the shift from lower to medium / high flow waters as they progress in development. I have had success in spawning I. fosser from Ammocoete to Adult. This was accomplished by altering the tank depending on stage and is not something I'd call very well established or I'd write it up in AC .

Various Brook Lamprey in general are a bit of a new world and detailed full life history husbandry is still being worked out...I'm currently working with these fish but have not got to a point that full life history captive husbandry has been worked out.

#5 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2007 - 10:17 PM

Well I'm going to say bluntly now that I have been asking for Ichthyomyzon greeleyi for years now and have managed to come up with two preserved specimens and zero live ones. I've looked around some Tennessee localities and always came up empty. I presume longterm captive husbandry would be similar to the American Brook lamprey or Northern Lamprey. All of these tend to show the shift from lower to medium / high flow waters as they progress in development. I have had success in spawning I. fosser from Ammocoete to Adult. This was accomplished by altering the tank depending on stage and is not something I'd call very well established or I'd write it up in AC .

Various Brook Lamprey in general are a bit of a new world and detailed full life history husbandry is still being worked out...I'm currently working with these fish but have not got to a point that full life history captive husbandry has been worked out.

Ok. Thank you so much for answering my questions. I just mentioned the Mountain brook because it's pretty small. Are their any more common small, non-parasitic species?

Thanks again,
Steve

#6 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2007 - 10:39 PM

Ok. Thank you so much for answering my questions. I just mentioned the Mountain brook because it's pretty small. Are their any more common small, non-parasitic species?

Thanks again,
Steve

The American Brook Lampetra appendix and the Southern Brook lamprey Ichthyomyzon gagei are both small species and rather common.

#7 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2007 - 09:04 PM

I think there are some mountain brooks in the French Broad River of NC.

#8 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2007 - 09:35 PM

I wish that you would write up your experiences since so little has been done in captivity. I've collected many ammocoetes and spawning adults over the years but there is still a lot we don't know.

#9 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2007 - 09:45 PM

I wish that you would write up your experiences since so little has been done in captivity. I've collected many ammocoetes and spawning adults over the years but there is still a lot we don't know.

One of these days I'm going to lock myself in a northern Michigan cabin for a week and write that..

#10 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2007 - 07:48 AM

One of these days I'm going to lock myself in a northern Michigan cabin for a week and write that..

You may need more than a week to get all the info you know into that book. ;) And if/when you get around to it, I'll be the first to buy it! Lampreys have become one of my favorite species.

#11 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2007 - 06:11 PM

go to love canal NJ I'm sure no is any where near there :D

#12 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2007 - 12:47 AM

go to love canal NJ I'm sure no is any where near there :D

Isn't that Love Canal Niagra Falls, NY area?

#13 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2007 - 12:10 PM

I think it is
thanks alot now you're making me look dumb :D

#14 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2007 - 11:05 PM

I think it is
thanks alot now you're making me look dumb :D

Sorry not my intent heck at the time I lived fairly close to the area and I had to think about a few minutes when you said NJ. Then I felt bad for NJ getting bad press for NY's mess. So many people have no idea of how many great natural areas are in NJ. It's not just NY city's door mat.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users