Pickerel Season...

8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2007 - 01:03 PM

When do pickerel come out the most, summer, fall, winter, or spring?

#2 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2007 - 03:54 PM

When do pickerel come out the most, summer, fall, winter, or spring?

Pickerel are always "out" but you can find a great many young in the early spring. In northern Illinois they (grass pickerel) often spawn under the ice and the young can be found soon after.

#3 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2007 - 04:00 PM

Pickerel are always "out" but you can find a great many young in the early spring. In northern Illinois they (grass pickerel) often spawn under the ice and the young can be found soon after.

Ok. Thanks. Just wanted to know because in the 10 years I've been collecting at this creek I have seen two. I caught both, but in my ignorance I put them with a 6" LMB (they were 4").

#4 Guest_xspainx69_*

Guest_xspainx69_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2007 - 05:12 PM

Ok. Thanks. Just wanted to know because in the 10 years I've been collecting at this creek I have seen two. I caught both, but in my ignorance I put them with a 6" LMB (they were 4").

I wanna go Pickeral fishing but Im not sure if they have them in New York City. Upstate usually has them but im not sure about the city or which lakes has them.

#5 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2007 - 10:35 PM

I wanna go Pickeral fishing but Im not sure if they have them in New York City. Upstate usually has them but im not sure about the city or which lakes has them.

Basher Kill has redfin pickeral about 1.5 hrs from New York NY take the turn off Rt 209 in Haven NY

#6 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2007 - 08:15 PM

Basher Kill has redfin pickeral about 1.5 hrs from New York

Sounds like a lovely place. I wonder if you can camp there, by the lake, with a bunch of doomed teenagers.

#7 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2007 - 07:30 AM

Sounds like a lovely place. I wonder if you can camp there, by the lake, with a bunch of doomed teenagers.

Actually, you would be surprised at how quickly you "get out" of the city when you head north up the hudson valley or northwest towards Basherkill in the foothills of the Catskill mountains.

http://maps.google.c...l...sa=N&tab=wl

#8 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2007 - 07:44 PM

Only once in a lifetime! 8-[ It is a fun place to sample, Bluespot Sunfish (protected in NY), Ironcolor shiners (protected in NY), Bowfins in the swampy area and follow the road a ways and it turns to a riffle/pool stream with margined madtoms and shield darters. Caught a small lamprey of some kind once.

#9 Guest_sumthinsfishy_*

Guest_sumthinsfishy_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2007 - 11:33 AM

This spring I caught 1 baby grass pickerel, and about 5 baby muskies/northerns in one day. I only kept the grass because the others weren't looking too good. They were all about 2 inches long.
Then in the early summer, I caught another grass pickerel about three inches long, and a bunch of fully grown ones.
I have had success catching them all year, but mostly mid spring through early summer.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users