Breeding Okefenokee Pygmy Sunfish

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Canadiancray_*

Guest_Canadiancray_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2008 - 08:16 PM

I just got a message from the guy bringing them back saying most died & what are alive have fungus. :(

Maybe I can wait for some from you.

#22 Guest_canadiangirl_*

Guest_canadiangirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2008 - 12:46 PM

Well, that sucks! I may have a few available for sale in the fall. Do you ever come to Ottawa? I could trade you for some crayfish maybe. :smile2:

#23 Guest_Canadiancray_*

Guest_Canadiancray_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2008 - 06:48 PM

Yeah I head out that way for work a few times a year. That would be cool. What type of crays are you looking for????

#24 Guest_canadiangirl_*

Guest_canadiangirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2008 - 07:40 PM

Well, I'm finding raising the fry of this species to be quite challenging. I am feeding them several times a day with microworms and also golden pearls. I've found that since I've started feedingmore often + added the golden pearls I've had a lot more fry in there. They seem to grow really slowly though. I've just started adding some wingless fruitfly maggots as they are smaller than the whiteworms to feed the babies (and adults too!) till they are big enough to take whiteworms and blackworms.

How long do they live for? It's been about 9 months since I got my now adults as juvies. Should I expect to see some of my adults die off soon?

Irene

#25 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 19 June 2008 - 09:49 PM

How long do they live for? It's been about 9 months since I got my now adults as juvies. Should I expect to see some of my adults die off soon?

No, there is no reason for these fish to be annuals in an aquarium situation... I have had Okees and Bandeds that lived for 2-3 years in an aquarium. With ample food and no predators, they are not as short lived as often assumed in the wild.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#26 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:00 PM

Hi Irene,
How well are the fry taking to the golden pearls? What size are you using?

#27 Guest_Canadiancray_*

Guest_Canadiancray_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2008 - 09:50 PM

Finally got some Okees. About a dozen juvies. Cutest little things. Can't wait to see if they will breed.

#28 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2008 - 11:04 PM

They're gonna die :-(

#29 Guest_Canadiancray_*

Guest_Canadiancray_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2008 - 11:09 PM

Why would you say that???

They're gonna die :-(

#30 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2008 - 11:13 PM

A Forum survey found that the majority of members agree that when I say your fish are gonna die, I am right EVERY TIME! So, I just wanted to warn you. No special reason - I just have a feel for these things.

#31 Guest_Canadiancray_*

Guest_Canadiancray_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2008 - 11:17 PM

LOL NICE!!! I have those feelings too some times. It usually passes once I hit the bathroom. As far as you claiming a fish is gonna die I would say thats a pretty safe bet since they will always die eventually.

A Forum survey found that the majority of members agree that when I say your fish are gonna die, I am right EVERY TIME! So, I just wanted to warn you. No special reason - I just have a feel for these things.

#32 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2008 - 11:35 AM

As far as you claiming a fish is gonna die I would say thats a pretty safe bet since they will always die eventually.

You hit the nail on the head, there, Cray!

#33 Guest_Canadiancray_*

Guest_Canadiancray_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2008 - 10:05 AM

Well I have babies!!!!! :tongue:

They seem to be doing rather well too. I have 2 tanks constantly running with green water & a constant supply of BBS for my other babies so this works out nicely. So far I've counted 10 babies. The adults are really eating well in the tank. They are going nuts over the BBS & see them picking off the baby shrimp that I have in the tank as well. Its kinda nice because this tank was always exploding with baby shrimp to the adults help keep them in check.

#34 Guest_Bob_*

Guest_Bob_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2008 - 03:39 PM

The green water idea should work. What would work best is to put some of the adults in a five gallon tank on the windowsill, and let the sunlight turn the water green. You should have a mess of them in no time.

Canadiangirl,
You are giving them exactly what they need. Be patient. Keep scanning around the java moss and eventually you'll see tiny fry. Make sure the current isn't too strong.

Also, I have found it easier to raise these fry when I had a culture of greenwater going. Everyday, I squirted a little greenwater into the tank. All you need to do is take some of your tank water, put it in a jar, and place in a window with strong light.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users