The Forum Has Fallen Below The 20% Threshhold Of Nanfa Members

87 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2007 - 09:49 PM

I noticed that there are now 759 registered members of this Forum, of whom 146 are NANFA members. The rate of NANFA membership continues to slide below 20%. Just sayin'.

#2 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2007 - 09:51 PM

I noticed that there are now 759 registered members of this Forum, of whom 146 are NANFA members. The rate of NANFA membership continues to slide below 20%. Just sayin'.

Why don't more of the people on the mail list move over here? But how many of the 759 people have posted more than 10 times or have logged in in the last month?

#3 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2007 - 09:52 PM

I hear ya Bruce, but keep an eye on NANFA's total membership. It's never been higher. Hey, you gotta take the lemon with the meringue.

#4 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2007 - 09:54 PM

Sad isn't it. Only 146 Nanfa members out of 500 hundred participate in our forum. just as sad that we have over 500 regularly using this forum who are not members. It would be great to have all of the Nanfa members involved, and even greater if all of our users were members. I have a dream.

#5 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2007 - 09:55 PM

Why don't more of the people on the mail list move over here?

Most of 'em have, I think. At least 90% of them. A few of us are dual citizens, but I prefer the forum greatly.

The percentage of members who were on the email list was never great - maybe 25% at most. A lot of members just want the magazine. It's been a long time since we did a survey - perhaps another one is in order.

#6 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2007 - 10:13 PM

That's a really good point. The mail list had a core group of users just as the forum does. A majority of people are members for the magazine and the organization alone. Fine by me, I get more out of it by communicating and getting out with you guys and gals. There also was alot of direct conversation usually about 3 replies after the chain had run its course that would continue on for a dozen emails.

There also seems to be about 15-25% of the users here that join to post a few basic husbandry questions and don't post again. Nothing wrong with that, we are a public forum and they are looking for help.

Inspire us pres'...

We're (the forum) still an infant...a toddler at best.

#7 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2007 - 10:16 PM

nice

#8 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2007 - 10:20 PM

Just to add. Right now, this minute. 9 out of 10 online users are Nanfa members.

18 of our top 20 posters are Nanfa members

one more, it looks to me that at least 22 of our newest members found their way to Nanfa via the forum. They were all active on the forum prior to joining!

#9 Guest_FishandFire_*

Guest_FishandFire_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2007 - 10:30 PM

Just printed my membership form and wrote the check. :-D

#10 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2007 - 10:31 PM

Great Fishandfire! glad to have you!

#11 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2007 - 10:39 PM

Since I am so active in this topic tonight.
This thread should not be turned into any kind of recruitment tool. It should stay merely a factual account of forum membership.
That being said, it is very exciting that the foum has reached so many people. Many of our forum members who are not actual Nanfa members are extremely knowledgeable, and contribute a great deal. we are glad to have them, and hope that someday they we'll feel stongly enough about our movement to become members, if not, just keep up the good content.

#12 Guest_FishandFire_*

Guest_FishandFire_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2007 - 10:46 PM

This thread should not be turned into any kind of recruitment tool. It should stay merely a factual account of forum membership.

I had been planning on doing this for a while. I have seen past issues of AC and think its a great read. I also like the fact that there is an organization such as NANFA that promotes the healthy and ethical care of native fishes both in the home and the wild.

#13 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2007 - 10:58 PM

A lot of members just want the magazine.

What? there's a magazine?!!! Look for my check soon!
Seriously, I first heard about NANFA a few years ago before the forum existed. I inquired about membership in my region and found not much going on here so I didn't join. I kinda forgot about it for awhile and never knew there was a forum. I recently stumbled on the forum while doing a search on northern redbelly dace. I skimmed the posts and immediately signed up.
What I like about this forum, besides the natives, is the fact that the level of experience and knowledge of general aquarium principles was much better than most aquarium forums. I also like the more natuaral approach to fish keeping in a world that seems to believe if you add enough chemicals to your tank you can fix anything.
I'm gonna join soon. Really.

#14 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2007 - 11:09 PM

Mikez, where are you from?

#15 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2007 - 11:11 PM

Mikez, where are you from?

Massachusetts

#16 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2007 - 11:12 PM

I just checked and there are 144 members on the NANFA-L mailing list. I'd say 90% of them are here while the other 10% are either lurking or refuse to contribute to a forum. So that percentage isn't going to go up tremendously.

mikez: http://nanfa.org/ac.shtml

#17 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2007 - 11:17 PM

Massachusetts

Yeah, we don't hear a whole lot from MA. You should contact Rick Rego, who is your official regional representative. PMail me if you want his email addy.

#18 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2007 - 11:24 PM

Oh - Interestingly, our Regional Coodinator does not appear to be on the forum. FWIW, I think there should be a system for notifying the regional rep when a new member joins. Some of you NANFA forum staff could make that happen ;-)

#19 Guest_FishandFire_*

Guest_FishandFire_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2007 - 11:33 PM

Is there a list of all the regional reps posted anywhere? If there is I can't seem to find it. :?

#20 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2007 - 11:35 PM

http://www.nanfa.org/regional.shtml

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users